New MOBO and Cel D 3.06 stalls during POTS

bsorbe

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2005
I just bought a new machspeed PM800BMS socket 775 motherboard and a Celeron 3.06 processor from tiger. When I assembled the unit and turn it on, it began the POTS, but it stalled right after the Memory test. It gives me the "push Del to enter setup" message but the keyboard won't do anything. I tried another PS2 keyboard but no luck. I called Machspeed tech support, and they said that my serial number board has an older version of Award Bios that was not compatible with that processor. So I ordered another board from Tiger to use with this processor. He said that there is nothing wrong with the board, but that it only is compatible with CPU's that have a 1m FSB rather than a 2m. What does this mean? How do I find a processor that specifies this? I only see FSB referred to as 533 or 800, so how do I find a processor to make good with this board?

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
1m or 2m fsb makes no sense. it is possible u need to flash the bios before that board will work with that cpu but you'd have to look up the board on the mfg's website.

bsorbe

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2005
According the the guy I spoke to at Machspeed, I have to first get a processor that is compatible with the bios that is on there, and then once I get that up, then I can update the bios to the latest version and use a Celeron D like I wanted. If I go the Machspeed website, they have a bios update available that states it has added support for E-stepping with a Celeron D processor. I would imagine that's the update I need to make it work. I don't know how to flash the bios if I can't even get the thing to go into setup or access any drives. I just want to get a processor that will allow me to get this thing up and going, and I'll worry about the bios update later.

endyen

Splendid
If you dont know anyone who will let you use thier chip, take the mobo to a local shop, and they will do it, for a fee. You could also ask the tiger to do it, but again there is a fee involved, as well as down time. I'd check the local shops.