Dimension 8300: Mainboard replacable?

Hi all,

last weekend my dimension 8300 dies (together with many other electronic
equipment) as a lightning flash was hitting our house.

If the computer is switched on, the power-LED is blinking like in
standby-mode, but you cant wake up the computer. It is very propable that
the mainboard and the cpu are damaged, while other parts as DVD, HD and so
on are ok.

So my first thought was to get a new mainboard with mainly the same chips on
it (Intel 875 and so on) and a new cpu and replace them, because it is
cheaper than buying a new computer and i want to use my old harddisc
without installing all my software again. But now i've heard rumours, that
the boards from dell are not replacable by standard boards, is that right?
And if not, has someone tried such a replacement before?

Thank you for all hints and tipps, Jens
--
Die o.a. Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Für Mails an mich bitte
"spamtrap" durch "jens.nixdorf" ersetzen.

    No. Only original Dell boards will fit. With a 8300 board ther are only 4
    pci slots while others have 5. Power is also VERY different. Maybe you can
    search on ebay for e new 8300 board.

    harrie

    Johoo wrote:

    > No. Only original Dell boards will fit. With a 8300 board ther are only 4
    > pci slots while others have 5. Power is also VERY different. Maybe you can
    > search on ebay for e new 8300 board.
    >
    > harrie

    What differences are this regarding Power? I've connected a standard ATX-PSU
    to the board and it fits all connectors? Do Dell have the same connectors
    with different wiring or what?

    regards, Jens
    --
    Die o.a. Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Für Mails an mich bitte
    "spamtrap" durch "jens.nixdorf" ersetzen.

    The 8300 uses standard ATX power hookups. It was only older
    Dell boards that used a custom power supply. What is special is
    the front panel connector, which can be dealt with with the aid of
    a ohmmeter/multimeter.

    Pen wrote:

    > The 8300 uses standard ATX power hookups. It was only older
    > Dell boards that used a custom power supply. What is special is
    > the front panel connector, which can be dealt with with the aid of
    > a ohmmeter/multimeter.

    So it is no problem, because i was never in need of the front panel
    connector. Now i've found a company in the UK which is selling DELL spare
    parts: www.com-com.co.uk. Someone knows this company and has experience to
    share?

    regards, Jens

    --

    "Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > No. Only original Dell boards will fit. With a 8300 board ther are only 4
    > pci slots while others have 5. Power is also VERY different. Maybe you can
    > search on ebay for e new 8300 board.
    >
    > harrie

    Uhh, the 8300 uses a standard power supply so nothing VERY different about
    it.

    The usual issues with non-Dell Socket 478 ATX or microATX boards have to do with
    physical attachment to the Dell chassis and rigging up the wires from the front
    panel of the case to the mobo. Dell seems to have gone straight P4-capable ATX
    power supplies, but have bent some of the other generic quasi-standards... Ben
    Myers

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> schreef in bericht

    > "Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > > No. Only original Dell boards will fit. With a 8300 board ther are only
    4
    > > pci slots while others have 5. Power is also VERY different. Maybe you
    can
    > > search on ebay for e new 8300 board.
    > >
    > > harrie
    > >

    > Uhh, the 8300 uses a standard power supply so nothing VERY different about
    > it.

    Hmm..it is not the power supply what is different, but the power
    (on/off/reset) button. That is integrated with the usb and audio in the
    front of the case.

    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > > > No. Only original Dell boards will fit. With a 8300 board ther are
    only
    > 4
    > > > pci slots while others have 5. Power is also VERY different. Maybe you
    > can
    > > > search on ebay for e new 8300 board.
    > > >
    > > > harrie
    > > >

    > > Uhh, the 8300 uses a standard power supply so nothing VERY different
    about
    > > it.
    >
    > Hmm..it is not the power supply what is different, but the power
    > (on/off/reset) button. That is integrated with the usb and audio in the
    > front of the case.

    Easily fixed with about $3 in parts from your local Radio Shack.
    It is not like the connections do not work if seperated out on to individual
    connectors.

Dell Computer Dimension Computers