Sign in with
Your question

How to do a fresh start

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2012 10:15:43 PM

I just got my hdd, ssd, and heatsink fan today. Only problem is that i built my pc in may with a 500gb blue hdd. I wanted to do a fresh start so that my ssd can be the boot drive for windows (plus my most used games/applications) and the black 1tb hdd (new) can hold most games and then the blue 500gb for docs, pics, etc. only problem is i have no ideas how to do this. I still have my windows cd and i know that i need to make new partitions but that is all i know. I have no idea on how to go about doing such a thing, please help.

More about : fresh start

a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 10:21:11 PM

Hi, Connect only the SSD, set SATA to AHCI and install Windows on it. Load the SATA F6 driver when asked where to install Windows. What board do you have?
After finishing installing Windows you can connect the other two drives. Make sure the power supply is off when connecting /disconnecting the drives.
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:20:31 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, Connect only the SSD, set SATA to AHCI and install Windows on it. Load the SATA F6 driver when asked where to install Windows. What board do you have?
After finishing installing Windows you can connect the other two drives. Make sure the power supply is off when connecting /disconnecting the drives.

I have the asus p8z77-v deluxe. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

how would one set sata to AHCI? also what do you mean by load the SATA F6 driver when asked to install windows?

Currently (what i did about 2 hours ago) i have all the drives installed in my case, which i can easily unplug the two hdds. I also have had windows installed on my pc since may so how would i delete what i have on the 500gb hdd without losing my rights to my windows? If i were to just put my windows disk in, press install, work my way to partitions then delete my current one, make a new one for the ssd and load windows onto that?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 11:33:45 PM

Regarding the activation, you should be able to reinstall Windows on the same system using the same activation key.
For that board, SATA is set by default to AHCI.
Download and unzip this driver ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/Intel/SATA/Floppy_Win8-64_W...(v11.6.0.1030).zip on a USb stick.
Connect it and while installing Windows, you will be asked where to install. In that window there's an option Load driver. Click on it then browse the USB stick and point to the driver on it.
I would firstly install Windows on the SSD, then connect and format the new HDD, check the files on the old HDD, see what I need, transfer them to the new HDD and then format the old one.
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:39:08 PM

so what exactly is the purpose of the F6 driver?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 11:44:19 PM

installing the Intel SATA driver. Otherwise, Windows would use the Microsoft's one.
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:45:21 PM

and why get the intel SATA driver? is it faster?

I'm not sure if it matters but my ssd is the samsung 840 pro 128gb
m
l
!