Your question

Processor Overheating, But Stable

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2005 8:58:00 AM

I've been working with my system lately, and have been having a few issues.

I am not new to this site, just the forums. So just so no one thinks of me as being new to computers in general, I'll discuss something here now: I'm not new. I've been working with computers for over 10 years, and have been in school 5 years (will finish up college for an associate's degree in IT within the next 2 weeks... woohoo!). I know alot about computers, so, this topic is something that's not really a problem, moreso just something I want to show people.

Anyways, to the subject:

I have an AMD Socket 7 processor, ABIT KD-7 RAID motherboard. The processor's main speed is supposed to be 1.8Ghz. Interestingly enough, my processor has been overheating. I have already checked fans, thermal paste, ect... and everything is fine. However, my tempuratures have far exceeded ANYONE'S expectations of a processor:

http://s95077276.onlinehome.us/Public/overheat228.jpg

Yes. That is 228ºF. I have been running stable at an average of 224ºF for quite some time now, even while running high-end games or programs. I have gotten alot of negative feedback about this, and I'm hoping that coming here means someone will notice that this isn't supposed to happen, and help me prove that it is true in itself. Many people have told me that I am lieing and that there is no one that a processor could possibly get this hot. Well, I'm doing what I can to get any and all backing that this is real... although I'm not sure what else to do other than screenshots.

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this, and perhaps if maybe there's a better, more trustworthy way I can prove this.

More about : processor overheating stable

September 26, 2005 9:37:04 AM

Oh... damn... don't I feel like an *** now... I messed up my own socket type... I didn't even notice I metioned Socket 7... I checked the rest of my post... it's right though (1.8Ghz, ect...)

Ah geez.... lol

Anyways... I have checked the date on my BIOS and it's the same as the most recent BIOS update I can find. When I reboot the system and check the PC Health, the tempurature reads about 199-203ºF, althought that tempurature is at <1% processor output. When I load into Windows and load MBM (which is completely updated as well), it'll read about 213-215ºF at idle. When I load MBM's heatup program, I skyrocket to about 226ºF average, and I peaked at 228ºF.
September 26, 2005 1:57:15 PM

First, giving such a long rant on how you know computers is just screaming that you have an insecurity about how much you actually know. Either you sound like you know what you're talking about, or you don't.

On that topic, getting your socket type right would help you to sound like you know what you're talking about. As would using the correct units. Almost no one uses Fahrenheit. Celsius is the standard.

On that note, your temp of 228F is about 109C, and that's darn hot alright.

And I suppose that it's even possible.

The <i>probability</i> however is about as likely as winning several million bucks in the lotto. :o 

As wusy aptly pointed out, most likely your sensor is just flat out wrong, because the probability of your sensor being grossly innacurate definately exceeds the probability that your processor can run at those speeds without keeling over dead.

So if you really believe that your temps are real, and actually care, then to <i>really</i> prove it, buy something like an IR temperature reader and verify that it isn't just a bad sensor.<pre><font color=orange> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=orange> - Cedrik says that if you believe your temps, then<font color=orange>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=orange>   for Bunny's sake, get a decent HSF!</pre><p> :evil:  یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil: 
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2005 3:05:16 PM

Hey, stick your finger on the CPU sink, if it burns you, it's hot! Seriously, that's an easy way to tell if your readings are anywhere in the ballpark of what they should be, so long as the heatsink is installed properly as you've said.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 27, 2005 2:45:23 AM

Another forum suggested that I check agian to see if the heatsink is on backwards. Well, I tried turning it around, and it seated properly (or felt like it did, anyways), and when I booted I still got the same readings.

Oh, when I went to pull the heatsink off, it was DAMN hot too.

I installed SiSoftware's Sandra 2005, and during idle it picked the tempurature at 202.2ºF.... but that was at idle. I did the mathmatical benchmark on the CPU, and recorded temp. hit 214.6ºF. I tried to do the multimedia benchmark, but each time I tried, I would watch MBM skyrocket it's temp. reading to over 228ºF, then the system would suddenly shut down.

The MBM readings and the Sandra 2005 readings were within about 3ºF of each other.
September 27, 2005 2:49:52 AM

A friend of mine actually has one of those... how would I go about getting an accurate reading of the CPU surface tempurature during idle (or peak) operations? I can't exactly remove the heatsink and leave the system running...

We did use it, though, and my heatsink read about 110ºF... but felt MUCH hotter when I removed it. My motherboard, however, peaked in some areas as high as 125ºF (chipset, some capacitors... that was about it)... but most of the board was around 100ºF.
September 27, 2005 2:51:45 AM

Right after I shut my system down, I touched the heatsink. I could only touch it for a second or two before it felt like it was burning... like grabbing a metal handle of a pan on a stove that's been on high for awhile.
September 27, 2005 6:30:02 AM

Quote:
Processor Overheating, But Stable

and
Quote:
I would watch MBM skyrocket it's temp. reading to over 228ºF, then the system would suddenly shut down.

Dont sound right together.
Most hsf units have a very good heat co-eficient. The temp of the top of the hs will be within a degree of the temp of the chip. Aim the IR gun there. BTW, if you touch it @ 220f, you will blister instantaniously.
On the other hand, the 43c that your IR gun showed is probably a little on the low side, while your v-regs could easily go to 125f (52c) or higher.
You do have a heat issue, so break down, and buy a new hsf.
September 27, 2005 7:59:27 PM

My pentium4 got to 100degrees C once when my watercooling pump failed. I got feel the heat b4 I even touched the CPU block, and I would have burnt myself had I touched it for more than a second.
September 28, 2005 1:31:11 AM

okay, your motherboard's sensor is way off, because your CPU shouldn't be functional at that temp. also look at your differnce between idle and load... see something? it difference is only 26 degreesF. that is no wear near where your suppose to be getting if your idle is way up there. depending on your CPU putting load on it for a extended period of time will usually put a good 20-50% temp increase from idle. so if that sensor is not zeroed right, then the whole thing is is off by a certain ratio.

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>
!