Windows 7 installation

gannondworf

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I just finished upgrading my PC. I got a new mobo and CPU. I kept my old hard drive.

When I try to do a fresh install of Windows 7 from a USB, everything goes smoothly. It progresses nicely through "Copying Windows Files", "Expanding Windows Files", etc. All the way up to "Completing Installation."

Now here's where things get hairy. After everything is done, I am informed that a restart is needed. I let my PC restart, hoping to continue along the installation processes, but to my frustration I'm back at square one. It's like my computer doesn't remember that it already "expanded windows files." This is driving me crazy -- I can't even install Windows!!

gannondworf

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
The hard drive was working this morning, before I took the old parts out. I can enter Windows Live with no problems. Furthermore, every time I make an attempt at installation, I have less hard drive space. I assume that's because I'm creating a Windows.old file every time I try.

I don't know how to test the hard drive in DOS, but I don't think my hard drive is failing. Maybe its something hard drive related, but it can't be failing.

Hi :)

WHY cant it be failing, we see one day old hard drives in my shops that are failing....

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD

All the best Brett :)

I know you said you were doing a fresh install of Windows 7 from USB but are you removing the old partition with the prior installation in it from the drive?

This may be a moot point but its one that I've seen happen several times that results in the installation becoming confused.

TRENDING THREADS