Toby

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
hi all, we're always having this debate at work, just wondered on everyone elses opinion?

whats better for gaming AMD or Intel???

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Second that! ;)

My Beloved Rig:

ATHLON 64 FX 55 (will be changed for an X2 3800+)
2X1024 CORSAIR XMX XPERT MODULES
MSI K8N DIAMOND (SLI)
2 MSI 6800 ULTRA (SLI MODE)
OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W PSU

For games - AMD by far. In fact everything but encoding (Where AMD isn't far behind) AMD leads the way. Take a look at any AMD vs Intel reviews on the Internet!

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You're only going to get the AMD fanboy lemmings around here. ..

AMD is faster in gaming, but if you want a more efficient.... erm no, hang on.. a cooler syste... No, not there either... A more stable... actually, no... erm..... cheaper? yes! the 820D is the cheapest available dual core solution! yes! Intel wins! Intel is great!

[/FUGGER]

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

It doesn't matter... the CPU industry is dead to me.

[/V8VENOM]

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
ROFL [/Clob]

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey, I respect his dedication and abilities, but he ain't half blind much of the time.

To be perfectly fair, if the P-M is taken into account, things aren't <i>entirely</i> in AMD's favour. But until Intel really starts the ball rolling with a nice (desktop) line up based on that tech, it's all AMD ATM. If I was to buy a new <i>laptop</i> now, it'd be a P-M one.

Desktop-wise, I'm happy to sit here with my A64 system and see what happens in the next couple of years. I really don't care more for either company.

I care about ease of cooling (noise), value for money and performance. And yes, this is all (bar all the dually arguments, which are more logical extrapolation & [admittedly not very intensive] research) based on <i>personal</i> experience, before anyone starts shouting about me just 'following the pack'.

Seriously though, how many Intel V AMD threads are there going to be? My money's on Transmeta. :wink:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a Prescott here...I use it for benchmarking. Using it full time would overheat my office and run up my electric bill.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. The days of the Northwood C are long over. :(

Heh heh. So far my 2.6C has been doing great with its fanless heatsink, and that's while running 2 instances of F@H 24/7 when I'm not gaming. (I think it's when I game that my PC gets a break!)

Hopefully Intel can pull something out of their arse soon, or ... well ... actually, I can't really think of anything bad to follow that up with. :\ (At least not with the way that Intel has been running their business lately.) With a little more $$$, AMD might finally increase their production capacity and start taking a chunk of the SOHO market share. If they did that, they might even do something inventive for a change. That'd be cool.

(Not that AMD sucks, but their R&D's imagination has been pretty lacking IMHO. Intel may suck right now, but at least they try interesting new things every so often.)

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

endyen

Splendid
I'm pissed. That something was supposed to be cedar mill. On 65 nanos, and better substrata, it was going to bring the TDP way down. So what's the new TDP? 9 watts less. BFD.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Pretty crap, but unsuprising.

Don't know why they didn't just shelve the scotty design altogether... You can't polish a turd after all.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
everytime this debate comes up I twitch uncontrollably.

either because someone can't do the research to look at the past discussion.

it's so obvious which one is better

or the fanboys come out in droves to support either side...

all in all. my brain starts to hurt

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
The same could be said about most posts really. A quick read through the motherboard FAQ post would solve most problems...

*shrug*

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can't polish a turd after all.
<pre><font color=orange> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=orange> - Cedrik says that you <i>can</i> gold plate one!<font color=orange>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=orange></pre><p>
Don't know why they didn't just shelve the scotty design altogether..
Probably because some manager believes that Scotty still has promise, even though the engineers are all groaning. Of course another good question is why doesn't Intel just face facts and start implementing SOI? Likely an upper management decision...

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
@ 198K of 200K!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm pissed. That something was supposed to be cedar mill. On 65 nanos, and better substrata, it was going to bring the TDP way down. So what's the new TDP? 9 watts less. BFD.
No, BF-HSF! :O

But seriously, not only am I not surprised, but actually, I'm kind of impressed. I mean at this point each die shrink is going to make leakage just that much nastier. So for Intel to have tackled their first version of the die shrink, without using SOI, and still manage to drop 10% of the heat? That's actually pretty impressive.

Still, I'd be a hell lot more impressed had they gone back to the Northwood design, reimplemented their new features, the few important fixes, and added their cache to that, used SOI, and released a new Uber-Northwood.<pre><font color=green> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=green> - Cedrik says that you can't have everything.<font color=green>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=green></pre><p> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
@ 198K of 200K!