Question: Installing 1n4004 diodes. Power Transformer

I am currently rebuilding the Power Transformer on my Space Invaders. It is
blowing the F2 fuse which relates to the Displays, which are not working.
After reading Marvins page on problems with displays, I need to replace the
1n4004 diodes. The current diodes on the transformer are multi-colored
diodes and my 1n4004 diodes have one silver band on one end. Does it matter
which way the silver band is installed onto the board?
Thanks,
Eric
kidpepsi@columbus.rr.com

martin

Yes. Incorrect orientation will blow fuses or simply fail to work.

If you look at the capacotor, you will see wires that go to two diodes
each. For the positive terminal of the capacitor - look for a plus sign
on the board - connect to the siver banded ends. For the negative
terminal, the black ends.

MoveOver wrote:
> I am currently rebuilding the Power Transformer on my Space Invaders. It is
> blowing the F2 fuse which relates to the Displays, which are not working.
> After reading Marvins page on problems with displays, I need to replace the
> 1n4004 diodes. The current diodes on the transformer are multi-colored
> diodes and my 1n4004 diodes have one silver band on one end. Does it matter
> which way the silver band is installed onto the board?
> Thanks,
> Eric
> kidpepsi@columbus.rr.com

All four diodes face the same way. There is a screen on the board for
direction. It probably looks like this:

-->|--

-----=-=|----

The silver band means the same as thing as the verticle line to the
right of the carrot sign. Lin them up that way and you're good to go.
Also, consider using 1N4006 diodes. Same price and higher voltage
rating.

K2

Could be a problem on the HV regulator too, that's causing the power
supply fuse to blow. Better check that too - on the solenoid/regulator
board, upper left corner, smaller of the two heatsinks on that board.
Pretty easy to rebuild too, btw, I do it 'all the time'. Look for any
resistors that look a little burnt, especially the ones by the two disk
capacitors (sorry, can't remember the names or numbers right off). If
you see any, then rebuild the whole thing.

steve
---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
Hermitage, TN
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

We have 1N4007 diodes in stock (800v rating). We replace the diodes in
Bally and Stern power supplies with these in all games that come through our
shop and haven't had any problems come back. See: www.actionpinball.com for
pictures, prices, online ordering.

We also have the unique VJ248 rectifiers for these boards, information on
upgrades and modifications you should do to the power supply for the 5vdc
regulator, fuse kits, regulators, and C23 filter capacitor
replacement/upgrade kits. Everything you need to make that Bally/Stern game
healty and reliable! A must!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC