  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 24, 2004 3:01:42 PM

I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years, I'm
now stuck with it.

I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.

I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update products
and make them worse!

1
I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to get
the drivers to work.

Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?

2
IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like Not
Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.

I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
works fine.

I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.

Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.

Thanks

More about : crashing ie6 installing

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:01:43 PM

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:01:42 +0000 (UTC), "Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com>
wrote:

>I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years, I'm
>now stuck with it.
>
>I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
>stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.
>
>I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update products
>and make them worse!
>

>1
>I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to get
>the drivers to work.
>
>Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?
>

>2
>IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like Not
>Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
>
>I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
>works fine.
>
>I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
>

>Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.
>

>Thanks

I haven't encountered the problems you are having with IE6 but
as an alternative you might download and give Mozilla Firefox
a try. I've been using it a couple of weeks and it's been just fine.
Actually, here, it seems to display WEB pages faster than IE6.
Imports Address Book and Favorites just fine.

Another alternative, wait for MS SP2 for XP. It's said to
cure everything! Supposed to be out next month... don't hold
your breath!

Jack Mac
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:01:43 PM

Tony I haven't encountered many problems with IE6 other then pop ups have
seemed to increased with it's use the past couple months.. A friend of mine
advised me to try FireFox by Mozilla and I have found it works great, looks
just like IE6 without all the bells and whistles plus absolutely no pop
ups... It will even import and use all your old settings and bookmarks from
IE6.. just a suggestion..

"Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message
> I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years,
I'm
> now stuck with it.
>
> I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
> stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.
>
> I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update
products
> and make them worse!
>

> 1
> I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to get
> the drivers to work.
>
> Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?
>

> 2
> IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like
Not
> Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
>
> I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
> works fine.
>
> I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
>

> Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.
>

> Thanks

July 24, 2004 6:58:01 PM

Tony,

A couple of things to consider...

1. If IE is freezing, it could be due to some pesky software that has hooked
itself into your system. Download, update, and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to
remove most of the garbage-ware that infects a system and messes up browsers.
McAfee is not yet up to speed with detection of spyware, malware, some trojans,
and other pests. Not sure about Sophos.

2. To install Windows 2000 on a newer Dell (which model?), you need a valid
Windows 2000 COA with Product Key (Doh!), the Windows CD (Double Doh!), and
drivers for all the chipsets on your system. The most important drivers are the
motherboard drivers. Without them installed, there is no guarantee that any
other driver will work properly. So you have to install the mobo chipset
drivers first, immediately after installing Win 2K. Next are the network
drivers, without which you can't get on the net. To prepare for all this, find
out what model of motherboard is in your Dell. Odds are it is Intel-branded,
tho disguised by a Dell BIOS. If not Intel-branded, the odds are near 100% that
it uses Intel chipsets, which Dell favors. You can downlaod Intel chipset
drivers from the Intel web site (Triple Doh!).

3. Contrary to expectations of others, I do not have high hopes for Windows XP
Service Pack 2. Once again, we are drowning in Microsoft propaganda telling us
how wonderful it will be. The hype raises expectations. Like most major
software releases from Microsoft, I doubt that they will get it right the first
time. Despite the service pack name, this IS a major, major release. Microsoft
has NEVER gotten it right with the first release of a product. What a brilliant
track record... Ben Myers

wrote:

>I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years, I'm
>now stuck with it.
>
>I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
>stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.
>
>I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update products
>and make them worse!
>

>1
>I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to get
>the drivers to work.
>
>Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?
>

>2
>IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like Not
>Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
>
>I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
>works fine.
>
>I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
>

>Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.
>

>Thanks

July 24, 2004 10:19:34 PM

"Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message news:cdtfij$m16$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years, I'm
> now stuck with it.

Arguably, Windows XP or at least XP Pro is what 2K should have been.
If you are interested, here is a brief comparison:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyup...

Don't give up on XP yet. Chances are you'll be able to work through
your problem and you'll come to prefer it to 2K.

> I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
> stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.

FWIW, MS releases updates on a somewhat infrequent basis, and they
often release several around the same time. For example, my recent
update history reveals:

7/14/04: 5 updates
7/2/04: 1 update
6/8/04: 1 update
5/12/04: 1 update
4/15/04: 6 updates
2/11/04: 1 update
2/2/04: 2 update
1/15/04: 1 update

Not all of which are critical updates. If you are relying on the background
updater to download/install things, your updates might end up being more
stretched out. But you shouldn't be seeing actually installs on a daily or near
daily basis if you've had your computer for months.

> IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like Not
> Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
>
> I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
> works fine.
>
> I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.

I recently posted this for someone else, but it wouldn't be a bad idea
for you to try. When I run into odd behavior that isn't easy to zero
in on, I first perform scans/cleanup/updates (which often resolves the
problem) and if that doesn't work, start digging.

- Backup important files
- Run Chkdsk with fix option
- Delete stuff you don't need. Uninstall programs you no longer use,
remove files you don't want, delete cookies, purge history and
MRU lists, etc.
- Run DiskCleanup
- Perform a full scan using updated antivirus, antispyware, and
antitrojan tools. I'd recommend one of the popular AV programs
and in addition, Lavasoft's Adaware (for spyware) and Moosoft's
The Cleaner (for trojans). Remove any malware that is found.
- Manually go to the Windows Update site and install ALL the patches
that apply to your machine (not just the critical updates).
- Do another DiskCleanup
- Run Disk Defragmenter, defrag if necessary
- Familiarize yourself with your startup items and services, disable things
if you are sure you don't need them.
- Double check that your security tools and settings are properly
configured.
July 24, 2004 10:46:14 PM

Thanks for the info.,

I really wish I'd asked for my new Dimension PC with 2000, that system
worked great, quick and in 3 years, almost never froze. I've only had XP for
a few weeks and already I'm having problems.

I tried to install a different system on my old Dimension once, and spent
about 1 week trying to install the drivers. Maybe I'll just shy away from
trying again and wait for the service update to arrive.

I know MS does eventually get things right, after endless updates. How come
Apple can get it right, right away, but Bill takes a few years?

Thanks for the info though.

> [...]
> >stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.
> >
> >I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update
products
> >and make them worse!
> >

> >1
> >I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to
get
> >the drivers to work.
> >
> >Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?
> >

> >2
> >IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like
Not
> >Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
> >
> >I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times
it
> >works fine.
> >
> >I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
> >

> >Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.

July 24, 2004 11:24:01 PM

How do you import Explorer bookmarks in Mesilla.. I tried it, but was only
able to import one bookmark at a time.

How can I do the whole file?

thanks

"Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message
> I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years,
I'm
> now stuck with it.
>
> I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
> stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.
>
> I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update
products
> and make them worse!
>

> 1
> I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to get
> the drivers to work.
>
> Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?
>

> 2
> IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like
Not
> Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
>
> I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
> works fine.
>
> I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
>

> Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 12:21:24 AM

> I know MS does eventually get things right, after endless updates. How come
> Apple can get it right, right away, but Bill takes a few years?

Because Apple followed the Amiga ;-)

July 25, 2004 1:40:37 AM

On systems where I have installed Mozilla for clients, the IE favorites show up
under Bookmarks and Imported IE Favorites. You should not have to do anything
except install Mozilla. It finds the IE Favorites automatically... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:24:01 +0000 (UTC), "Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com>
wrote:

>How do you import Explorer bookmarks in Mesilla.. I tried it, but was only
>able to import one bookmark at a time.
>
>How can I do the whole file?
>

>thanks
>

>"Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message
>> I've heard from many people the woes of XP, having used 2000 for years,
>I'm
>> now stuck with it.
>>
>> I've only been using it for a few months, but already Internet Explorer's
>> stopped working properly, even though I get MS updates almost daily.
>>
>> I used 2000 for years with hardly any problems. Only MS can update
>products
>> and make them worse!
>>

>> 1
>> I've been told to uninstall and re-install 2000, but it can be hell to get
>> the drivers to work.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this on a new Dell?
>>

>> 2
>> IE keeps freezing, and in Ctl Alt Delete, I find it says something like
>Not
>> Accesable, and I have to force IE to close down.
>>
>> I've searched for viruses with Sophos and also McAfee. Most other times it
>> works fine.
>>
>> I've used anti virus Sophos and McAfee..no luck.
>>

>> Can anyone tell me how to deal with this.
>>

>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:42:24 AM

No! It's because Micro$oft does not have real software engineers. Technology
anarchy reigns supreme in Redmond and outlying Microsoft programming
locations... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:21:24 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> I know MS does eventually get things right, after endless updates. How come
>> Apple can get it right, right away, but Bill takes a few years?
>
>Because Apple followed the Amiga ;-)
>
>--
>Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
>--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:42:25 AM

> No! It's because Micro$oft does not have real software engineers.
> Technology
> anarchy reigns supreme in Redmond and outlying Microsoft programming
> locations... Ben Myers

XP SP2 provides a nice pop-up blocker for IE6 (no nicer than Firefox,
however), and aggressive default settings on the XP firewall, mail
attachments, and antivirus program checks and reminders. It also shoves
Windows Update functions and reminders right under the user's nose.

I've been using it (RC1 and now RC2) for at least a couple of months.

I don't find it to be a silver bullet but it is a slight improvement.

Stew
July 25, 2004 2:33:32 AM

As Ben Myers said, they should have been imported when Mozilla was installed; and be listed in Mozilla bookmarks under "Imported IE Favorites."

But, if you want to do it manually after Mozilla is installed, you will need to export your IE favorites to an HTML file. In Internet Explorer, under the File menu, you will find "Import and Export." Use the Import/Export Wizard to export your IE favorites to an HTML file. After this, you can switch to Mozilla, and import the IE favorites from this HTML file.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:4102d6f4.18840011@news.charter.net...
> On systems where I have installed Mozilla for clients, the IE favorites show up
> under Bookmarks and Imported IE Favorites. You should not have to do anything
> except install Mozilla. It finds the IE Favorites automatically... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:24:01 +0000 (UTC), "Tony" <poiwerpoipoi@poipoipoi.com>
> wrote:
>
> >How do you import Explorer bookmarks in Mesilla.. I tried it, but was only
> >able to import one bookmark at a time.
> >
> >How can I do the whole file?
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:16:03 AM

"S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> writes:
>XP SP2 provides a nice pop-up blocker for IE6 (no nicer than Firefox,
>however), and aggressive default settings on the XP firewall, mail
>attachments, and antivirus program checks and reminders. It also shoves
>Windows Update functions and reminders right under the user's nose.

>I've been using it (RC1 and now RC2) for at least a couple of months.

>I don't find it to be a silver bullet but it is a slight improvement.

Can you tell whether it is going to be possible to try SP2 and if it
breaks one or more applications to be able to roll back out of it?
(Some MS bugfixes have allowed that easily and others much less so)

Can you tell if there is going to be a way for users to tell whether
SP2 is going to break specific applications before they just try it
to see? (Why does this sound just like trying out an internet virus? :)

I'm hoping to avoid this just being an excuse to require me to buy
new versions of half the applications that I use, for the ones that
are still in business, and buy a substitute for the other half.

Thank you
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 1:01:50 AM

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> writes:
>>XP SP2 provides a nice pop-up blocker for IE6 (no nicer than Firefox,
>>however), and aggressive default settings on the XP firewall, mail
>>attachments, and antivirus program checks and reminders. It also shoves
>>Windows Update functions and reminders right under the user's nose.
>
>>I've been using it (RC1 and now RC2) for at least a couple of months.
>
>>I don't find it to be a silver bullet but it is a slight improvement.
>
> Can you tell whether it is going to be possible to try SP2 and if it
> breaks one or more applications to be able to roll back out of it?
> (Some MS bugfixes have allowed that easily and others much less so)
>
> Can you tell if there is going to be a way for users to tell whether
> SP2 is going to break specific applications before they just try it
> to see? (Why does this sound just like trying out an internet virus? :)
>
> I'm hoping to avoid this just being an excuse to require me to buy
> new versions of half the applications that I use, for the ones that
> are still in business, and buy a substitute for the other half.
>
> Thank you

The option exists during install run an archive that will allow you to
uninstall the service pack later if you wish. When installing SP2 RC1, I
skipped this feature out of laziness, and therefore the option to remove it
does not appear. When installing RC2, I chose to archive but the option is
still not there - probably because I futzed it the first time around.

You could read up on any known application issues over at the MS knowledge
base or on MS tech net before installing - or simply perform a google search
using your application name and SP2.

So, yes, the option does exist - according to MS - to uninstall it at some
later point.

While my application usage is limited, not a single application or game has
been borked after the install, fwiw.

Stew
!