Whirlwind with Bad Cab - Price / Reality Check

Ron

what do you think is a fair price northern california) for a whirlwind
that operationally looks pretty good, but the cabinet is scarred and
has been (poorly) repainted?

second question ... how much and where do you find cabinet art for
whirlwind? i've googled on the group with no luck in finding cost or
source as i want to factor this into my cost.

at the end of the day, i can always bury the bad artwork between two
other pins so you do not see it, but it would keep me up nights knowing
that my whirlwind looks like the phantom of the opera - good on one
side, bad on the other.

here are seller provided pictures and description. appreciate any good
/ bad comments and advice on how much you would offer for this pin.

thanx in advance!

http://ronchan.zoto.com/

"he Whirlwind has a factory Mylar (Diamond Plate) so the playfield has
no visible wear. The pin was shopped about 18 months ago. It's in 100%
working order. No error messages, display is 100%, fan works, new
spinner decals, new rubbers, new balls, cliffy hole and ramp
protectors. The only rap is the cabinet. It was touched up with
non-factory colors, but it still looks fine. Also, it has the original
copyright infringement translight. (The kid's wearing a Chicago Cubs
hat) Subsequent translights have the kid wearing the Williams logo
hat."

\ron

Mylar and Diamond Plate are very different. Diamond Plate is a factory
clearcoat put on games and it makes a Whirlwind much more valuable.
Mylar is almost like a clear sticker for the playfield that protects it
from wear. I have one with a mylared playfield that has a very beat
up original cabinet and I paid $1k for it and I am very pleased with
it. Good Luck!

Joe

The one in the pictures is Diamond Plated, so it is not only in
excellent condition, it is far more rare than a regular Whirlwind...

Ron

thanx guys for the reality check on diamond plate and the cubs
translite.

due to scarred / badly painted cab condition, and the fact that seller
refuses to name a price waiting for me to make an offer first - i'll
take john's low end price suggestion - all he can say is no \-)

is finding another cabinet the only option you guys see? no
replacement artwork out there?

i am very interested in this pin, but perhaps too blinded by the
cosmetics because my pins are in my living room and i use them as for
only entertainment, but a piece of art / furnature as well. i don't
mind doing restoration if there was art, but kinda stuck in having a
good playfield, but crummy cabinet. *sigh*, i guess it is better than
the other way around...

appreciate as always the input.

best,

\r

Damn, the parts one I sold had a nice DP playfield, and an ok cabinet.
No boards or display panel. Somebody local picked up a bargain.

zTim

Diamond Plate PF - rarity, production of ~200 out of 7k games - good find
Cubs translite - good find. Unsure on production, but most of the games
didn't have this.

Cabinet has seen better days, nobody makes cab art at this point.

I gave $1250 in January for my DP Whirlwind without a cubs translite and a
cabinet quite a bit better than this one, but not perfect. I'd try to score
it for 1k-1200 and look for another cabinet, otherwise bury it between 2
games as you suggest.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"ron" <golferron54@gmail.com> wrote in message
> what do you think is a fair price northern california) for a whirlwind
> that operationally looks pretty good, but the cabinet is scarred and
> has been (poorly) repainted?
>
> second question ... how much and where do you find cabinet art for
> whirlwind? i've googled on the group with no luck in finding cost or
> source as i want to factor this into my cost.
>
> at the end of the day, i can always bury the bad artwork between two
> other pins so you do not see it, but it would keep me up nights knowing
> that my whirlwind looks like the phantom of the opera - good on one
> side, bad on the other.
>
> here are seller provided pictures and description. appreciate any good
> / bad comments and advice on how much you would offer for this pin.
>
> thanx in advance!
>
> http://ronchan.zoto.com/
>
> "he Whirlwind has a factory Mylar (Diamond Plate) so the playfield has
> no visible wear. The pin was shopped about 18 months ago. It's in 100%
> working order. No error messages, display is 100%, fan works, new
> spinner decals, new rubbers, new balls, cliffy hole and ramp
> protectors. The only rap is the cabinet. It was touched up with
> non-factory colors, but it still looks fine. Also, it has the original
> copyright infringement translight. (The kid's wearing a Chicago Cubs
> hat) Subsequent translights have the kid wearing the Williams logo
> hat."
>
> \ron

Ron

hi,

in the photo i posted, these are more like gouges ... seller told me
that they are scrapes that occured while moving it about in the garage
.... but with the horrible paint job on it, wish it did catch on fire as
it would have made a better picture \-)

I think I sold this game awhile ago. The game I sold was in a fire and the
left side of the cabinet burned. Does this sound like your machine?

-Jack
"ron" <golferron54@gmail.com> wrote in message
> what do you think is a fair price northern california) for a whirlwind
> that operationally looks pretty good, but the cabinet is scarred and
> has been (poorly) repainted?
>
> second question ... how much and where do you find cabinet art for
> whirlwind? i've googled on the group with no luck in finding cost or
> source as i want to factor this into my cost.
>
> at the end of the day, i can always bury the bad artwork between two
> other pins so you do not see it, but it would keep me up nights knowing
> that my whirlwind looks like the phantom of the opera - good on one
> side, bad on the other.
>
> here are seller provided pictures and description. appreciate any good
> / bad comments and advice on how much you would offer for this pin.
>
> thanx in advance!
>
> http://ronchan.zoto.com/
>
> "he Whirlwind has a factory Mylar (Diamond Plate) so the playfield has
> no visible wear. The pin was shopped about 18 months ago. It's in 100%
> working order. No error messages, display is 100%, fan works, new
> spinner decals, new rubbers, new balls, cliffy hole and ramp
> protectors. The only rap is the cabinet. It was touched up with
> non-factory colors, but it still looks fine. Also, it has the original
> copyright infringement translight. (The kid's wearing a Chicago Cubs
> hat) Subsequent translights have the kid wearing the Williams logo
> hat."
>
> \ron

TRENDING THREADS