dennisthe12c

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Hi, My mom (79) got an I-Mac about 4 years ago much to my protests as at the time I was making a few computers for friends but she had her mind made up. Well she finally had enough of the Mac as I was of no help (just couldnt get into the system) The last machine I made was mine- P-4 skt 478 3.0, Abit IS 7MoBo, 9800 Pro etc. and it has been so trouble free I haven't kept up with the evolving technology. Since she is used to the small mac I thought a shuttle might be right for her. She dosen't need special sound or graphics so if I can get a mobo with on board everything would probably work. Do you think P-4 or Athlon?
She surfs the net and writes some E-Mail but the mac has gotten so slow.....Plays some games that don't require much in graphics. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!

Starting Over

morbidangel

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
give her your PC and have fun building yourself a new one.
As far as parts just get any PC magazine and look at the ads they usually tell you everything thats in there, so just copy it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've never had a problem with Asus. In fact, my last Asus has been the best mobo I've ever had. :O

But then maybe there's a huge line between their low-end products and their high-end products?

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure if the whole teeny-tiny PC is really worth it though. Personally, I'd go with something stylish and a bit roomier like an Antec Overture II. That way you've got room for upgrades later, adequate cooling, and a decent power supply. Plus if she finds that she needs/wants an upgrade later, you're in a good position then.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

reader850

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
Onboard sound and LAN, yes. But not onboard video. My wife's motherboard had better-than-average NVidia onboard video, but it wouldn't play full screen video in some cases, such as for an internet class she took -- she had to use my computer for that. Go with AMD Athlon64 Venice or A64 Sempron, depending on your price and MB preference, as they stay cooler than Athlon XP or Intel chips, so you can keep your case smaller and quieter. But I agree with slvr phoenix's case suggestion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you meaning to say their low-end products are better? Because their high-end products...haven't been for me.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>