Will I need to buy Win 7 again??

techdude9

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
The answer is probably obvious, but I do not know for sure. My current PC came with Windows 7 64 bit installed. I am currently building a new PC, and would like to know if I need to buy the OS again. I have my product key and product ID but no CD.

My friend said I could call and since I have my ID and key, I could get a new disc sent to me, that I can use to get Windows 7 on my new build.

More than likely the version that came with your computer is a OEM license and is locked to that motherboard, which is typically the case.

Just because you have a product key and product ID, they will not necessarily send you a CD.

For safety's sake, I would get a non-OEM copy so that you can move it if you happen to change the motherboard or have to reinstall at a later date.

techdude9

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012

True. My W7 is OEM. I can not find a non-OEM copy anywhere. Do you know where I can find one?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

He beat me to it :kaola: :kaola: