Cool n Quiet not working on Athlon64 3700! help

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
Specifications:

AMD Athlon64 3700+ (San Diego Core), Stock (Boxed) Fan
MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum Motherboard (Socket 939, nForce4 Ultra Chipset) - BIOS V. 1.3
JSP-Tech EZCOOL 550W Power Supply
Asus 7800GTX Graphics Card

ISSUE:

I have installed the AMD Athlon64 drivers after installing windowsXP SP2. The system is running fine, however, the cool n quiet function does seem to work as the processor continues to work on 2.2GHZ and does not clock down no matter what power/energy sceme i set under windows (Portable/Laptop, Max Battery, Home/Office etc.). I have reinstalled the Cool n Quiet/processor driver twice, both from the MSI site and from AMD site. But cool n quiet is still not working. I have checked and made sure that cool n quiet is enabled in the motherboard BIOS. Am I missing some other setting or driver. I have installed all the other drivers from the motherboard CD and the system is running stable and just fine. The only thing which is troubling me is the cool n quiet which isn't working. Please help.

Thank you.

Sikandar Khan

Probably caused by the bios version. I would check msi's website for any bios updates and what fixes they address. But flashing the bios is a little risky. In my view, not worth the risk of getting a dead board just to fix cool and quiet, assuming everything else works.

pat

Expert
In power management, in setting, you have to set the computer to minimal power usage instead of desktop PC.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. Still making Wingding's envy...

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
Thank you everyone for the help.

I installed the latest BIOS (V1.9) and the Cool n Quiet is working fine now. It seems the old BIOS didn't support the latest core (San Diego).