The Best +- DVD Burner for the 8400

Just purchased my 8400 system and it should arrive in the next week.

I didn't get a DVD burner because I want to add an "after market" +-
drive. A couple months ago I saw that everyone was recommending the
NEC 2500A drive. I noticed today though that there are some new NEC's
available include some dual-format ones for a few dollars more.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&catalog=5&propertycodevalue=3147,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200&minprice=&maxprice=&mfrcode=0&DEPA=1&order=PRICED&description=DVD%2CDVD&InnerManu=1326

Three questions....

(1) Can anyone confirm if the 8400 is shipping with the 2100A NEC
DVD-Rom drive or is it something else now?

(2) Do you still recommend the NEC 2500A or something else? I want a
drive that looks seamless (like it was installed with the system), but
that also will perform well.

(3) Any tips on installing the drive for those who have done this sort
of thing before?

-Tracy

Go with the dual layer here. http://tinyurl.com/2xzrs

"Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased my 8400 system and it should arrive in the next week.
>
> I didn't get a DVD burner because I want to add an "after market" +-
> drive. A couple months ago I saw that everyone was recommending the
> NEC 2500A drive. I noticed today though that there are some new NEC's
> available include some dual-format ones for a few dollars more.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&catalog=5&propertycodevalue=3147,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200&minprice=&maxprice=&mfrcode=0&DEPA=1&order=PRICED&description=DVD%2CDVD&InnerManu=1326

> Three questions....
>
> (1) Can anyone confirm if the 8400 is shipping with the 2100A NEC
> DVD-Rom drive or is it something else now?
>
> (2) Do you still recommend the NEC 2500A or something else? I want a
> drive that looks seamless (like it was installed with the system), but
> that also will perform well.
>
> (3) Any tips on installing the drive for those who have done this sort
> of thing before?
>
> -Tracy

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I like Plextor burners. They have a new one that has a

I like the Plextor burners. I normally don't have trouble with the burner
accepting any media. I would suggest a 12X Plextor burner with a 8MB
buffer.

> Go with the dual layer here. http://tinyurl.com/2xzrs
>
> "Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Just purchased my 8400 system and it should arrive in the next week.
> >
> > I didn't get a DVD burner because I want to add an "after market" +-
> > drive. A couple months ago I saw that everyone was recommending the
> > NEC 2500A drive. I noticed today though that there are some new NEC's
> > available include some dual-format ones for a few dollars more.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&catalog=5&propertycodevalue=3147,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200&minprice=&maxprice=&mfrcode=0&DEPA=1&order=PRICED&description=DVD%2CDVD&InnerManu=1326

> > Three questions....
> >
> > (1) Can anyone confirm if the 8400 is shipping with the 2100A NEC
> > DVD-Rom drive or is it something else now?
> >
> > (2) Do you still recommend the NEC 2500A or something else? I want a
> > drive that looks seamless (like it was installed with the system), but
> > that also will perform well.
> >
> > (3) Any tips on installing the drive for those who have done this sort
> > of thing before?
> >
> > -Tracy

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Newegg web site says the NEC comes without software. Does it need a
driver, or can windows XP handle it as is?

> Go with the dual layer here. http://tinyurl.com/2xzrs

XP supports it. No other driver required. Course you need burning
software.

"Greg" <xxx@yyy.com> wrote in message
> The Newegg web site says the NEC comes without software. Does it need a
> driver, or can windows XP handle it as is?
>

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Go with the dual layer here. http://tinyurl.com/2xzrs

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

The NEC burner is an OEM product and does not have burning software.
WindowsXP installs the DVD drivers. It does not come with a cable either.
It comes bulk or white box.

"Greg" <xxx@yyy.com> wrote in message
> The Newegg web site says the NEC comes without software. Does it need a
> driver, or can windows XP handle it as is?
>

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Go with the dual layer here. http://tinyurl.com/2xzrs

Are dual layer burners only currently available in the DVD+R DL spec?
There isn't a DVD-R dual layer spec yet is there? If I got the NEC
dual layer DVD, would I be able to add DVD-R DL support via a firmware
update?

Also, if I get a dual layer drive will software compatibility be an
issue? Meaning will the dual layer drive write fine on dual layer
media with WinXP, Roxio, Nero, etc.? I'm aware it's backwards
compatible with single layer discs, but I just want to ensure that I
don't have any problems down the road.

If anyone here has a dual layer drive already, I'd be interested in
feedback from your experiences.

-Tracy

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On 25 Jul 2004 21:01:08 -0700, muppettracy@hotmail.com (Tracy) wrote:

>Are dual layer burners only currently available in the DVD+R DL spec?
>There isn't a DVD-R dual layer spec yet is there? If I got the NEC
>dual layer DVD, would I be able to add DVD-R DL support via a firmware
>update?

Right, there is no DVD-R spec yet. Whether or not a firmware update
is all that will be needed remains to be seen. It may depend on the
drive, like being able to upgrade the NEC 2100 to NEC 2500/2510.

>Also, if I get a dual layer drive will software compatibility be an
>issue? Meaning will the dual layer drive write fine on dual layer
>media with WinXP, Roxio, Nero, etc.? I'm aware it's backwards
>compatible with single layer discs, but I just want to ensure that I
>don't have any problems down the road.

Roxio and Nero already support DL. As the media becomes more
available and cheaper I expect other popular burning apps to support
DL, if they already don't.

Dave

Greg

Distinguished