Help! Windows won't start at all.

Taty123

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
So, I have an Eee Pc netbook (Asus, Windows 7, seashell model?)

I've had it for about 4 years but the charger broke and I haven't been able to use it for about a year (give or take). I now have a charger but I've never had a problem like this before now. When I turn my computer on the screen loads with 2 options; "launch startup repair (recommended)" and "start windows normally". I have tried starting windows normally many times but it always goes back to that screen saying that windows failed to start (no crashing or blue screens). So, I tried to launch the startup repair. I've used this option plenty of times and it usually does everything automatically but this time, (after taking about 10 minutes to load) I get system recovery options; one allowing me to use recovery tools if I can choose my operating system which should be located in the box below, but it is not. Also, I can choose to load a driver but I do not have a backup or driver of any kind.

The second option allows me to restore my computer using a system image. I have never created a system image and cannot complete the steps following that choice. (I'm guessing this is like system restore; which I have used a few times without having to manually create a restore spot).

I chose the first option on this screen (recovery tools). I tried every option on the next screen (excluding the command prompt because I have no commands). Startup repair ran for 5 hours and returned back to the "windows has failed" screen. System restore didn't work, I have no "images" for system image recovery and windows memory diagnostic has also gone back to the same screen (it was displaying an error message before though).

Note: At the top of the box that gave me the 5 options above; it says, "Operation system: Unknown on (unknown) Local Disk.

I have also tried all the options on the "safe mode" screen (except the ones marked for IT's). When trying to enter safe mode (whether it's regular, with network or with command) the files load but stop and return to the same "windows has failed screen".

I'm sure you can see my frustration... :sweat: :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the novel; I just wanted to give as much detail as possible.

If you can still get to your command prompt there are a couple of things to try before you go down the re-install route. 1st try chkdsk /f then enter (note space after chkdsk)
This will check your disk for errors and hopefully fix them. If Windows still fails to load try fixmbr from the command prompt.
Meanwhile as you have no DVD drive you'll either have to obtain an external drive or prepare a USB device to reload Windows. Post back if you want assistance with that.

Taty123

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Unfortunately, neither command worked. I typed in the first one and it said "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected". The second one told me that it wasn't recognized. It seems that reinstalling is my only option. Help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Taty123

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll have to look into it.

Taty123

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Update: I found a DVD labeled Windows 7 repair disk, 32 bit. This sounds alot like what you were talking about. But, my laptop is a netbook so I have no disk tray; how would I get the DVD onto my laptop? Would I have to connect it to my home computer somehow?

Assuming you don't have a Win 7 disk, you can download an ISO from here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html
Match the version to the COA sticker on the base of your EPC.
You then have two options.
1. Create a bootable USB device
2. Create a DVD and install from an external Optical drive via USB Port. Either obtain an external drive or 'borrow' a DVD drive from another PC and buy a power supply/USB adapter from Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-USB-2-0-SATA-IDE-Cable-Lead-HDD-w-Power-Adapter-UK-/380540792659?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4472717014405408498%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D320383801768%26
To create a bootable USB
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

A Windows Repair disk may do the trick, but can't be used to re-install Windows. My last post should help run the Repair disk...
If you opt for USB drive, scroll down to here
4Zvr8.png
you don't need Zipper...

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hit f2 to get into the bios, go in there and turn off the boot booster option if its there. Restart the Eee netbook and keep tapping the F9 key that should do a factory restore of the Os, be aware that it may wipe any data ect you have.

Taty123

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Honestly, I was more than willing to try all of these suggestion, but I don't currently have the means to do so. So, all I did was run startup repair again, let it run over night and it finished and windows finally started up, no need to re install or anything. But thank you all so much for your help.