Sign in with
Your question

OCd 2400+

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2005 10:11:55 AM

Got my Athlon 2400+XP clocking @ 2600+ = 2000Mhz @ 2100Mhz.

Got SETI running in the background and a couple of other things so the CPU is at 100% workload. Anyways, SANDRA is registering 60 Celcius. Is that ok? My CPU cooler is rated up to 3200+.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>

More about : ocd 2400

October 7, 2005 10:56:08 AM

1) run F@H instead. Helping to cure humans will be much more useful than trying to find aliens - if they want to talk to us, I'm sure they will.
2) 60C is a bit too warm for an XP IMO, but you could have a defective temp. sensor of course. How warm does the HS feel to the touch, and what voltage are you running the chip at? Exactly what cooler do you have?

Oh yeah, what's your system temp?

And the rest of the specs would probably be helpful. If they're in your other post, then I apologise, but I'm not looking at it out of principle :wink:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 10/07/05 11:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 7, 2005 12:21:14 PM

Ok, 1)I'll run Folding@Home. 2)BIOS says 56C. SANDRA agrees. System temp according to BIOS is 47C. The HS is warm but I can keep my fingers on it. According to SANDRA I'm juicing the CPU @1.71V. I have an Arctic Cooling Cu Silent TC rated for AMD up to Athlon XP 2900+.

I've just finished monitoring and it's @ a constant 59C now with SETI in the background.

"My System" is up to date BTW.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 7, 2005 1:01:11 PM

Your system temp is pretty damn hot. You either live in death valley or you need better case airflow. My system temp never went over 37 or so on my old socket A system.

1.71V is a fair bit for that speed. Do you need that much voltage? If you haven't turned it up for stability try dropping it a little. That'll help the temps.

sorry I didn't spot the 'My rig' link... I just kind of didn't notice it... :redface: I like the way you've made a <i>whole post</i> to the AT forums.. :lol: 

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>
October 7, 2005 1:03:06 PM

Incidentally, I'm assuming this is a t-bred 'B' core, because IIRC they t-bred A cores only went up to 2100+ or 2200+. If it's a t-bred A it would explain the amount of V being used in this case.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>
October 7, 2005 9:24:17 PM

I agree with Chipdeath - your system temp to CPU temp difference is fine (mine hovers around 13C), but with a system temp of 47...

What's your ambient temp? (room temp) If it's under 35C (I sure hope so, 95F is hot), then that case needs some airflow. To see if it helps, take the side cover off and blow a house fan in it, see how your temps drop.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
October 7, 2005 10:09:21 PM

I took off the side panel and it's now @ 54C according to SANDRA under load.

I've got an 80mm intake mounted on the front bottom part of the case and another 80mm exhaust fan right next to the CPU's HS right under the PSU.

October 7, 2005 10:39:38 PM

Quote:
80mm exhaust fan right next to the CPU's HS

Try turning that sucker off. I'd bet that it is choking the airflow @ the hsf.
October 8, 2005 7:34:34 AM

Better yet... do a 180 on the airflow... I find that when my 2x 80mm fans blow tons of air right into my CPU it helps a lot... Enough to keep my fan speeds low while gaming and now have to worry.

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"
October 8, 2005 3:45:15 PM

Quote:
cover off and blow a house fan in it, see how your temps drop.

doesnt that blow static on your computer? my teacher always said things with motors make static or something, but then again he was a strange teacher.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00
a c 95 à CPUs
October 9, 2005 2:07:52 AM

Quote:
I've got an 80mm intake mounted on the front bottom part of the case and another 80mm exhaust fan right next to the CPU's HS right under the PSU.

No wonder its hot, do you have any front and rear mounting space available to mount more case fans? Theres more to OCing than bragging rights survivability is part of the game too!

My setup is 3 rear 80mm fans [4 counting the P/S fan] 2 80mm front, 2 80mm side, my CPU cooler is a Vantec Aeroflow, you need more cooling taking the side cover off is not a good thing to do, if you have to do that your case isn't drawing in and exhausting air properly.

AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW
October 9, 2005 4:41:01 AM

First of all I didn't post the question to brag. Secondly I wanted to know if the temp readings I was getting was normal for the OC I was doing to my stock 2400+.

Actually, and that's the reason it took me so long to answer back is I did some experimenting with airflow. What wusy, endyen, Clob and fishmahn posted got me to thinking.

I went and reversed the intake and exhaust fans so they blow towards the front of the case and now I'm @ 51C under 100% load.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

a c 95 à CPUs
October 9, 2005 5:16:34 AM

Normal case airflow is;

[IN] from the front and side.

[OUT] through the rear and top.

You can always add side fans if you need to by cutting them in yourself.

And if you have the clearance to do so, you can also mod the top and add a blowhole.

Quote:
First of all I didn't post the question to brag.

And I wasn't trying to offend you, that OC is good enough to brag about, but you've got to keep it cool, sometimes wiring inside the case is obstructing the airflow path and needs to be relocated and tucked out of the way.

But definitely getting more case fans in it somehow and establishing a smooth airflow to remove the heat from the case is the real answer to the problem.

<font color=blue>AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW</font color=blue>
October 9, 2005 9:27:27 PM

Ok Ryan, I was thinking about the side fan but I didn't think about putting a blow hole on top. Wouldn't that create problems with my PSU? I mean it being mounted on top. I'd have to drill the blowhole right in front of the PSU housing's intake. Wouldn't make sense to drill it right on top cause I don't have that type of PSU. It's a single fan unit going out back.

I do have another idea. What about intake-ducting? I could take a peace of the dryer's exhaust ducting and make the intake at the front blow directly onto the CPU's HSF. I believe I'll try that out and let you know. It's not going to be pretty but should be effective. It's a workaround 'cause I had to remove the front plate to get the front fan to mount. Putting more fans on the outside would make this thing into a turbine and my wife sleeps about 8 feet away. Don't want to make her sleep at the airport now do we? :o )LOL

Your suggestion with the cables is a good one. I've got them sort of tucked away but the PSU's intake is a bit sloppy. I've already got ideas for that also.

I'll post my results here when I'm done. Anyways, SANDRA is registering between 52-54C. Ambient is 47C with the side cover mounted.

Thanks!

a c 95 à CPUs
October 9, 2005 11:41:28 PM

Don't overlook where I said you could cut in a top blowhole if you had clearance to do so, a lot of cases aren't designed to allow for a blowhole on top at all, so make sure if you're even considering it that you can.

I've got a friend that needed extra cooling so bad he omitted having an optical drive mounted in the top most position and cut in 2 80mm fans, with blue LEDs, looked pretty impressive with the lights off, when he was done with it and it completely solved his cooling problems.

<font color=blue>AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW</font color=blue>
October 10, 2005 3:52:18 PM

Hmmm... Nope, no static from the fans.

Did he wear tin foil too? :evil: 

Mike.

PS: There's a basis for his belief - an electric motor does tend to generate static electricity, but air is really a very poor conductor, so its not a consideration.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
October 10, 2005 7:49:41 PM

Quote:
I could take a peace of the dryer's exhaust ducting

Watch out for the wire. It could cause a short.

Quote:
It's a single fan unit going out back.

If Amd dosen't recommend this type of unit, I sure wont. Get a decent psu.
October 10, 2005 8:39:56 PM

I know about the wire.

The PSU has been a stable source since I bought the CPU so I know it's stable. It's a single fan unit but it's got some massive heatsinks in it. It's not your typical 420W PSU and only weighs a pound.

October 10, 2005 9:04:53 PM

Hey vagabond,

Seems to me some mobo's use the socket for reporting temps, others read from the die which will give higher temps. I'm not familiar with your mobo so can't say which it uses.

Also, have you cleaned out any dustbunnies in the HS?

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4
October 10, 2005 9:17:13 PM

Hey Coyote, ghost turds are out. No dustbunnies hopping around in my case.

I just installed a piece of exhaust ducting from my dryer and it fit perfectly with my HSF. Just shoved it in there. Cleared all of the stray cables. Got them out the way and I'm still OC'd @ 2100Mhz. My GPU is also OC'd @ 300/300. It's stable when the Graphics processor and memory are sync'd.

Under 100% load it won't go over 52C and idle I get it between 46-48C and this with the side cover on. I believe I solved my heat problem. I also kept the rear case exhaust fan reversed (blowing in instead of out). My case ambient is also @ 47C.

Anyways, my mobo reads it at the socket. But my problem is solved. Thanks everyone for helping.

October 10, 2005 10:52:29 PM

You missed the point. The psu is in the best spot to suck excess heat out of the system. To do that well though, the psu must have an intake fan just above the hsf.
I had an old palomino core that just couldn't stay running. I popped an enermax dual fan unit in it, and it was good 24/7. It made a huge difference.
October 11, 2005 8:46:15 AM

I Still prefer front intake to blow nice cool air over my HDDS. I would guess from what you've said though that you've got a cheaper case which has a 3.5" drive cage below the 5.25" bays, and the 80mm fan below that, so it wouldn't do that anyway...

What I did with my old case was install the two HDDS further back into the case so there was room for an 80mm fan in front of them (nestled into the front of the drive cage), ditched the floppy and just had a 3.5" gap between the two HDDS. It's amazing the difference it made to HDD temps. Obviously this makes the HDDS less secure, but unless you move your case around a lot (LAN parties?) it's not an issue.

Obviously now I have a P-160, and I have a fat 120mm fan blowing over the drives, so it's not an issue.

Just a quick thought.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>
!