Putting thermal paste on the cpu...

icecap

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
Now, I know that thermal paste is thermal paste, and that Arctic Silver 5 is great thermal paste, but in the manual of my water cooling kit, it says to use the paste provided. Do I HAVE to use the one that came with the water cooling, or should I just use AS V? (Thermaltake Bigwater is the name of my cooling kit)

Definetly use AS V if you already have it!

AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The difference between the two makes AS5 not worth buying, but if you already have it, you will get a very minor improvement in temperatures by using it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
idn about the paste they gave you... but back in the day... when xp2800+ was on TOP... i used the paste provided... and after about 1-2 yrs i had some serious heat issues then i cleaned out case and reapplied artic silver... and the difference in temp drop was rediculous.

true story no exageration.

old paste after a year and a 1/2 i was avg 58c lowest.. (idle)

artic silver temp when first applied 39c
after another year it's running a constant 41c(idle)
43c(running apps/games)

i did take off a decent amount of dust off the hsf and whatever im sure that was slowing the fans a bit... but deff i'd say go with the Artic.

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1C is average, 2C is about the best advantage I've seen going from stock paste to AS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
Yes.. and there is nothing that prove the sensors to be accurate ...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. brought back at the king's demand!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
after a year or so... try cleaning and reapplying your paste... see the difference you get...

i know i got a big difference... especially after cleaning all the dust off my boards and fans.

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"

pat

Expert
1, 2 or even 4 degrees is not what I care more about... I'm not going to paranoid if my temp run in the 50 degrees under load too. I do ensure good case air flow and clean CPU cooler thou. I use the vacuum from time to time inside the case to clean. And I never look at the temps anyway... As long as the computer is running crash free, I do enjoy it. And I still have to have heat related problem in more than 20 years with computer.. Yes, I agree that those old Commodore VIC-20 were not really subject to overheating ..

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. brought back at the king's demand!

TRENDING THREADS