Decided to Overclock (Finally) - a few questions

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a 3500+ Venice, and from what I hear they are easy to overclock. I have never overclocked before but I know generally what it involves.

I wanted your recommendations on how I should go about putting together a system for this.

* I AM NOT INTERESTED IN "EXTREME" OVERCLOCKING! I want to know what I need for just a decent/basic overclock... air cooled and without questionable stability, etc. *

* What s939/SLI mobo do you recommend? Asus A8N-SLI? Or The Deluxe model? Or Should I go Epox or DFI or other?

* RAM - I've heard I may need to change some settings on the RAM to overclock. I am looking for great RAM that is very fast, steady/reliable by default but will also overclock well. I have always gone Corsair or Kingston in the past. What do you recommend & why?

* HSF... what do you recommend as my HSF? I was thinking of buying the OEM 3500+ and then adding a better HSF, although I have heard the stock/retail HSF is good as well... anyway, advice?

* Case/PSU - I like the Antec P180 (the one with the PSU mounted at the bottom). I was thinking of going with the Antec Truepower 2.0 550watt PSU... Any disagreements here?

* Do I need a better chipset-cooler? I remember reading something about Thermalright making an NB-1 heatsink for motherboard's chipset to keep it cooler during overclocking... what's that all about?

* Anything else I have forgotten to consider?

Also, I was wondering what a SAFE and "hassle-free" so to speak OC would be for the Venice 3500+ (running stock @ 2.2)? Is it as easy as just having good cooling/power (case, psu, HSF) and the right mobo, and then just changing the multiplier up...?

Thanks for your time/patience... it's much appreciated!

Dan

P4c 3.2Ghz NWood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB XMS-Pro DDR 3200 / BFG GF-6800GT 256mb / Antec 380W

A64 3000 Venice / Epox 9npa-U / 1GB HyperX DDR 3200 / XFX GF-6600GT 128mb / Antec 330W

Wrong forum sir, try:

Overclocking > CPU's a bit further down.

</font color=white><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red></b>

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Oops, sorry... never OC'ed & never even knew there was an OC forum..!! my bad.

P4c 3.2Ghz NWood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB XMS-Pro DDR 3200 / BFG GF-6800GT 256mb / Antec 380W

A64 3000 Venice / Epox 9npa-U / 1GB HyperX DDR 3200 / XFX GF-6600GT 128mb / Antec 330W