Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 or windows 8 for my new gaming rig.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
December 28, 2012 6:28:34 AM

I am building a new gaming pc and I have already ordered all the parts. But I am wondering once I put it all together, Should I installed Windows 7 or Windows 8? I heard overall win 8 is faster but was wondering what you guys think?



Case: Antec Darkfleet 85 | http://tinyurl.com/38fbwxu

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading LGA1155 3.5GHZ | http://tinyurl.com/bv3s4e8

CPU cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I | http://tinyurl.com/d24vrnv

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 ATX LGA1155 | http://tinyurl.com/bwhlosu

SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB 2.5in SSD MLC 25nm SATA3 Solid State Disk Flash Drive OEM | http://tinyurl.com/cl94umy

PSU: Seasonic X850 Gold | http://tinyurl.com/chr3s93

Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V | http://tinyurl.com/cxx4c8v

Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 1006MHZ 4GB GDDR5 6GHZ PCI-E 3.0 | http://tinyurl.com/d9by7rv

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI-E1 SPDIF Sound Card 124DB SNR | http://tinyurl.com/c8eaz9s
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:54:11 AM

Get Windows 8 its great

Nothing like all the fudd you hear - try it for yourself dont listen to the haters.

Hell get a 90 day enterprise trial off Microsoft for free and try it out if you have to!
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:29:54 AM

8. It's faster, lighter and no endless Service packs/updates to load...
Related resources
December 28, 2012 7:58:41 AM

W7 I have recently made a system with it, you could have some problems of drivers
December 28, 2012 8:47:24 AM

Windows 8 for the performance. Booting only takes 3-5 seconds for my using a HDD. Windows 8 requires less performance which Means more performance goes to the games.
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 8:54:34 AM

Don't listen to any of these uneducated posts claiming others are haters etc,

Download a trial and see for yourself.

What I know.

If you want to just install it and play your games then its 7 as you will have mature driver support and you will know how to navigate the OS from the start.

There is nothing wrong with the actual OS of W8 its a good OS the issue is the UI its going to take some learning to navigate around which means you will probably want to spend some time getting used to it first, before installing games.

There is next to zero difference in games performance certainly nothing noticeable or that would mean W8 was a better gaming OS than 7

Mactronix :) 
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 9:20:09 AM

mactronix said:
Don't listen to any of these uneducated posts claiming others are haters etc,

Download a trial and see for yourself.

What I know.

If you want to just install it and play your games then its 7 as you will have mature driver support and you will know how to navigate the OS from the start.

There is nothing wrong with the actual OS of W8 its a good OS the issue is the UI its going to take some learning to navigate around which means you will probably want to spend some time getting used to it first, before installing games.

There is next to zero difference in games performance certainly nothing noticeable or that would mean W8 was a better gaming OS than 7

Mactronix :) 





win8 is basically like the cod series


the same as the previous version but with slight tweaks and looks different.



win7 drivers will work on win8 at the end of the day its preference.




are you going to

a - install win7 now and install 8 later

b - install win7 and wait for next os after 8

c - install win8
December 28, 2012 9:30:50 AM

mactronix said:
Don't listen to any of these uneducated posts claiming others are haters etc,

Download a trial and see for yourself.

What I know.

If you want to just install it and play your games then its 7 as you will have mature driver support and you will know how to navigate the OS from the start.

There is nothing wrong with the actual OS of W8 its a good OS the issue is the UI its going to take some learning to navigate around which means you will probably want to spend some time getting used to it first, before installing games.

There is next to zero difference in games performance certainly nothing noticeable or that would mean W8 was a better gaming OS than 7

Mactronix :) 


Uneducated posts?

Windows 8 is so much faster than Windows 7, just look here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1DFvNjs0k

You can customize Windows 8 to look just like Windows 7 by downloading mods. You can get the START button back and disable metro.

So what you're getting is actually Windows 8, that Works just like Windows 7 but will give you slightly better gaming performance and faster boot times.

Where is the logic? And WHO is the one that is posting uneducated posts? Please mister.



December 28, 2012 9:37:47 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
Uneducated posts?

Windows 8 is so much faster than Windows 7, just look here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1DFvNjs0k

You can customize Windows 8 to look just like Windows 7 by downloading mods. You can get the START button back and disable metro.

So what you're getting is actually Windows 8, that Works just like Windows 7 but will give you slightly better gaming performance and faster boot times.

Where is the logic? And WHO is the one that is posting uneducated posts? Please mister.

Firstly "please mister" is just juvenile.
Secondly boot time means nothing for most people. If you are worried about 15 seconds extra on boot up, then you should see a counsellor.

The advantage with Win 8 is security, BUT if you are modding it to be like Win 7, then why not stay with Win 7 and upgrade to Win 9 when that appears? The Metro interface clearly is not made of a keyboard and mouse setup therefore it will most likely get a dramatic overhaul in the next version.
December 28, 2012 10:02:16 AM

mazty said:
Firstly "please mister" is just juvenile.
Secondly boot time means nothing for most people. If you are worried about 15 seconds extra on boot up, then you should see a counsellor.

The advantage with Win 8 is security, BUT if you are modding it to be like Win 7, then why not stay with Win 7 and upgrade to Win 9 when that appears? The Metro interface clearly is not made of a keyboard and mouse setup therefore it will most likely get a dramatic overhaul in the next version.


I'm sorry I joined in on the child play. But that reply just made me furious. And as I just told, metro can be disabled and the regular Windows 7 experience can be enabled. Why go with less for the Money, I just don't get it.
December 29, 2012 3:52:06 AM

hmm. Well what can I used to get the start menu back on win8? I looked up start8 by stardock but it costs money...
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2013 4:10:36 PM

sirgray said:
hmm. Well what can I used to get the start menu back on win8? I looked up start8 by stardock but it costs money...


there is a free one as well called start menu for windows 8

its free and ive used it myself

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
!