using a router as a adapter

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Instead of using a USB or PCI Adapter, can you substitue a
2nd router instead and how would you hook this up? I can
get get the routers cheaper than the adapters! I want to
share internet and files between 2 win 98 desktops.

joker

Well since this is a Microsoft newsgroup I'll give you the answer for
the Microsoft hardware.

Run a wire. (short version)

One of the two following hardware configurations will allow you to
expand your Microsoft Broadband Network.

The first one is connected via wires & the second one is connected via
wireless.

Wired connection configuration information.

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or
MN-700 #3 (if available)

Wireless connection configuration information.

(For this configuration you can only use WEP & MAC filtering, for
wireless security, because the MN-740 doesn't support WPA.)

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #2
MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)

You will have to configure each MN-740 on an Xbox to connect to the
wireless network you want the second & third router to connect to.

General configuration information for both network connection types.

Make sure all MN-100's & MN-500's are running the latest firmware which
is 1.11.017

Make sure all MN-700's are running the latest firmware which is 2.01.02.0590

Make sure all MN-740's are running the latest firmware which is 1.00.02.0021

Now let’s look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
Router mode
LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
Some SSID (if wireless)
Some WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
Channel 6 (if wireless)

MN-500 or MN-700 #2
Bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
Same SSID
Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
Channel 1

MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
Bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
Same SSID
Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
Channel 11

If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network
supports WPA) the same for all base stations, people will be able to
move between locations and get a connection, without needing to change
there configuration as they move.

If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
networks.

You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
prevent interference.

Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
& 11 do.

Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

One last note 2.4 & many 5.8 GHz phones (The models that use the 2.4 GHz
frequency as well as the 5.8 GHZ frequency) will cause interference with
802.11b & 802.11g wireless networking hardware, as 802.11b & 802.11g
both use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Dave wrote:

> Instead of using a USB or PCI Adapter, can you substitue a
> 2nd router instead and how would you hook this up? I can
> get get the routers cheaper than the adapters! I want to
> share internet and files between 2 win 98 desktops.

assistance.

time.

You can;t substitute NIC with router...
You gonna need both (2PC's /w NICs and a router) in order to share Inet and
files..... Good Luck

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Instead of using a USB or PCI Adapter, can you substitue a
> 2nd router instead and how would you hook this up? I can
> get get the routers cheaper than the adapters! I want to
> share internet and files between 2 win 98 desktops.

I've seen you post this response about a dozen times, but I
don't think it ever answers the question. Let me rephrase
it, maybe you can explain it better.

You are limited to:
1 PC, 2 wires, 2 wireless routers (e.g. MN-500), 1
broadband modem.

PC <-- MN-500#1 (wireless) MN-500#2 --> Modem

Is this possible? The purpose is to replace a dedicated
"bridging adapter" with a spare MN-500. In the real world,
the MN-500#2 is also working as a switch for a few other
machines, but for simplicity's sake, leave them out.

directly for

http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= or
>http://news.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=nf&ned=us&q=
before wasting our
>time.
>.

You can not use the MN500 or MN700 to bridge wirelessly.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist