Newbie w/?s

Thanks ahead of time for the help. I'm trying to build a system for my 1st time. I had a $ constraint & read a lot online to help decide. I bought Codegen Mid-tower w/350W PS,MSI kt4vl, AMD 2000XP, 64MB ECS video card, 512 Simpletech PC2700 RAM , 60GB Maxtor HDD, CD-RW, FDD, W2K Pro,Office2K, mostly photo editing, games for kids.
I think the box came w/ faulty PS. Everything is hooked up per manual. PS doesn't start. 118VAC at end of power cord, but no DC, no PS fan, no hum, nothing. Am I missing something stupid? (Obvious answer is "Not yet.")Checked 110/220 switch, OK. Help!!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about newbie
  1. Hmm... you bought good stuff, hopefully it did not arrive dead-on-arrival. Just curious, but what vendor did you buy from? NewEgg.Com is the most reliable from what I have seen. If you don't get any help in this forum, try something busier like the CPU forum or the Motherboard forum. They won't mind.

<font color=blue>
    --------------------------------------------------
    Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
    <font color=blue>
  2. I bought the case & processor from CBWnet. Athlon 2000xp was 73.90 + ship. The rest of the online stuff I bought from Newegg. I got the burner w/rebate from Officemax after 3 no stocks. HAve since disconnected PSU from everything but case fan, still no juice. Another trip to the store.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twofootputt on 01/11/03 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. Make sure you haven't accidentally nudged the little slider on the back. It should be at "115"........other than that, looks like a dead PSU.

As I've said, if you haven't already, try posting your question at the CPU or Motherboards&Chipsets forum. A lot more people will see your question there.

<font color=blue>
    --------------------------------------------------
    Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
    <font color=blue>
  4. Thanks. PSU was DOA. Got new case w/400W PSU. $10 more than just PSU. Of course small plug for power switch is on 3 pin not 2pin like mobo. Back to store tomorrow.

While the early bird gets the worm, it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
  5. Check mobo manual.
    Mobo will have a secondary terminal to plug in 3 pin power switch.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
Ask a new question

Read More

Products