G

OK, I'm new at doing networking so be easy on me if you can.

I want to have a DHCP server at my house so my networking configuring days are over. This would be especially nice when buddies bring there computers over for some death match action. OK I admit it's borderline in the necessary department, but I'm the type of guy who would go through hell in order to have the latest whizbang device.

My question: I own win98SE, and win2K pro licenses that I can use to configure this any way I want, but can either of these OS's do DHCP serving?

Anybody got any links or advice I could make use of?

Kevin

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Neither one can be a DHCP server. Maybe you should just get a Cable/DSL router (they can be found for $50) which have builtin DHCP servers. Or there are shareware DHCP servers over at <A HREF="http://www.tucows.com" target="_new">tucows</A> just search for DHCP server.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

I want to try a software one first and see if I can keep my money. Thanks for the link/tip. Any suggestions on a good easy to use software, I got like 300 results for a DHCP server search. I suppose eventually I'll have to break down and get one of those broadband router/switch things, but not today.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
doesn't a Windows ICS host act as a DHCP server?
Good point. The original post made no mention of ICS, but it looks like this is a way to setup a DHCP server. I've actually never used ICS and was not aware of that added functionality. Thanks for the tip.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Ah good, thought I was getting confused there.

ICS is the simplest option and it comes with '98se. Setting it up is a cinch, just run the Home Networking Wizard and tell the machine it is the host. There's nothing more to it, other than setting the other machines to obtain an ip address automatically.

Typically for MS, it isn't the most robust software, but it costs nothing and may work perfectly for your setup knewton.

G

Sweet guys. Thanks for the advice. I will deffinitely be trying the ICS solution mentioned first. If you see this thread disappear, then take that as a sign of my success.