Sign in with
Your question

IE 6 is locking up every time

Last response: in Windows XP
November 19, 2002 12:43:02 PM

I'm having some problems with my explorer on Win XP. I had my orginal Explorer 6.0 that came with XP. I started having a few problems with it locking up. I went to reinstall it and instead updated to IE 6 service pack 1 since it was my only option from the MS website. It was a full reinstall. Now when I start up IE, if I have more then 2 browser windows open, IE locks up and the task manager reports that it's not responding. I have to end task to kill it. No matter what, every time, if I have more then 2 browser windows open (even a pop-up ad will do it), IE will lock up and I have to force it via the task manager to shut it down. It happens within 2-3 seconds of the 2nd browser window opening up.

I have tried reinstalling IE 6 SP1, checking for XP patches, I used the add/remove software function to uninstall the SP1 patch and downgrade me to previous IE 6 version (XP's base IE version is 6). I didnt seem to do anything. I am at a loss. Everything else works ok and IE works just fine as long as you have only 1 browser window up. As soon as a pop-up comes out or you hit a link that opens in a new window, it locks up. No other apps are having a problem. Just can't use IE now which is a major pain since XP basically incorporates IE in everything. I have multiple file windows up without a problem. It's just the browser. I don't have any 3rd party internet security apps on or pop up blockers or anything.

any ideas? TIA

More about : locking time

November 19, 2002 12:55:11 PM

believe it or not I'd check your RAM - if you have more than one try removing one at a time, or if you just have one see if you can borrow one and try it. Also try underclocking it.

You probably think I'm crazy but I've seen this sort of thing before and bad RAM has been the cause. FWIW.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
November 19, 2002 4:20:12 PM

hmm interesting idea, especially since I added newer RAM (different density PC 133). It seems my comp in some situations (mainly OS) is running slower, less reactive (slow windows redrawing sometimes). I dunno maybe its me but I can't be certain. I need to run some benchmarks.

The main issue though is the IE locking up. NO OTHER programs are doing that. I am running online games fine, Xnews (news agent). No problems. I can even run IE just fine in one window, as soon as another window pops up, I'm screwed.

I tried the deinstalls, reinstalls, patches, etc. No other system software was installed recently besides a few games. Nothing has been changed in my networking. I can't coincide this with a XP patch or anything. I would seriously consider a whole format and reinstall soon but I don't have a windoze XP CD (but my XP is legit, this machine is a loaner until I build a new one).

ILet me give you more specs:
HP 520c
Athlon 1600/512mb PC133 (2x256mb PC133 single sided chips)
HD at 80% capacity 12 gig free
Voodoo 4500 32mb card with Beta 13 drivers (latest)
onboard audio
Win XP fully updated all service packs/patches
Netgear cable router with another comp on the LAN with Cable on uplink. No conflicts with other machine and problem stays the same no matter what the other comp is doing.

Currently at IE 6 SP1

My other comp next to it (mac) runs just fine with no issues at all using IE as well. I will maybe try swapping RAM tonight out of my Athlon and see if it does anything but I doubt that it will do anything. If the other apps run fine, I don't see why it would be just IE.
Related resources
November 19, 2002 5:56:54 PM

hi

i have been having the same problem since i first got XP last september. It is extremely frustrating. i just put it down to my configuration. But i have built 2 more systems for family which have the same problem. They use quality memory and motherboards, i cant work it out.

i'll try the solutions on this page
November 19, 2002 6:35:06 PM

thanks I'll give it a shot when I get home.

btw guymitchell, I hate to say this but I'm glad its not just me with the problem =P If you alone have seen this so many times before then it must be some sort of known issue. We can't be the only ones with this bug. I'm also glad it shows up every time. Its so much harder to troubleshoot when the problem only shows up some times or rarely.

I'll post my troubleshooting results in about 5 hours.
November 20, 2002 7:35:57 PM

maybe you have some spyware playing with IE. happen if you are using Kaaza or bearshare and other peer to peer software. I personnaly use Netscape 7 just because it is less at risk with security issue, spyware,.. and only goes with IE when page dont looks good with NS, maybe one in 500 website.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
!