Sign in with
Your question

PCWorld's Top 10 Ultra Portables

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2010 10:28:41 PM

For those in the market for an ultra portable, here is PCWorld's top 10 that are currently on the market:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/1660/top_10_u...

I'm personally rather fond of the Asus U33Jc... ;) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 244 D Laptop
October 19, 2010 10:26:27 AM

I personally don't like any of them, i prefer either a tablet or a laptop with 15"+ screen.
October 19, 2010 2:25:53 PM

This is a new class of machine that deserves some attention. Netbooks came out a couple of years ago and were all the rage, but they were very limited in screen size and in power. Then the ultraportables came out. They are a tiny bit larger than a netbook, but they come with much better screens and keyboards, usually more battery life, and real dual core processors that can run anything you want to run. And they weigh almost the same as a netbook.

I have a Toshiba T135, with dual core ultralow voltage pentium chip, and 13" screen. Every time I pick it up I am amazed at how light it is. When I was researching that purchase I found that HP, ASUS, Acer and Lenovo all made competing models. Those are all upstaged now by the new models with i3 and i5 processors that offer even more processor power with the same small size and good battery life.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2010 3:58:05 AM

I concur cadder. I'm a fan of the ultra portables over netbooks, as I like something with some guts to it, especially in the CPU department. The low volt i3's, i5's, and i7's make the atoms and such look like sloth's. I had an old HP convertible tablet before I got this Toshiba M305 and I think the 14" screen on this thing is huge compared to the 12" on the HP.
!