<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2564" target="_new">Still only a 90nm production capability, 65nm production is to be 'added' later</A>

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
It seems Intel will have a large head start over AMD with 65nm (like with 130->90), it also seems like 65nm solves little, frequency wise (like with 130->90) and will mostly reduce costs - I'm seeing a pattern here...

<b>Behold, Mine anger and My fury shall be poured out upon this place upon man and upon beast and upon the trees of the field and upon the fruit of the land and it shall burn and shall not be quenched

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
'bout the time they realize the on-die mem controller's short term benefits are worth it.

<b>Behold, Mine anger and My fury shall be poured out upon this place upon man and upon beast and upon the trees of the field and upon the fruit of the land and it shall burn and shall not be quenched

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well i would hope that AMD put more R&D into their die shrinks so that no northwood --> prescott happends with AMD lol....

AMD A64 3200+Venice @2.65GHZ
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 2-2-2-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 6/23
Windows XP SP2

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's not the process as such. Intel have managed some fairly decent chips in the P-M camp at 90nm. They just completely screwed scotty up.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
yup, actually, AMD has made very few changes to its core since it moved to .13 - they added more cache, extensions and an on-die mem controler, then shrunk it again.

Prescott had undergone changes so it could beat the Athlon with frequency alone, like Northwood succefully did, and it might have done if it had really done ~4.6Ghz.

Big if.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Intel keeps using its strained silicon technology rather than SOI (silicon on insulator) which is known to suffer less from current leakage. However, the firm says it has increased the straining process by as much as 15% while leaving the isolating layer between gates and electrodes at 1.2 nm.
They will learn when they choose to, until then the fact of the matter is SOI adds costs per wafer upwards of 15% per wafer. Fiscally speaking it makes more sense to play out existing and perfectly fine technologies especially when dealing with costs of equipment in regards to moving to 300mm wafers.

If the situation could be looked at objectively (I know that’s not possible for you guys). I would appear AMD was hasty and cut into their own margins for the sake of mediocre leakage reduction since the real power is the design of the K8 line not the process technology.

-Jeremy Dach

endyen

Splendid
SOI adds costs per wafer upwards of 15% per wafer.
That's higher than what I had heard, but even still, the $7 per chip would be saved in a few months of electrical bills.
I would appear AMD was hasty and cut into their own margins for the sake of mediocre leakage reduction
doesn't make sense. You said K8 was basicly K7, yet the K8s, after the die shrink have marked less current leakage.
Face it, Intel has a serious leakage problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
K8's are basically K7's like P-M's are basically Tualatins.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Oh, and this one's for you <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=paxville&cookie_test=1" target="_new">xeon</A>
Too bad they didn't spend the extra few $ on SOI there.
Even if it only cut back a hundred watts or so. Not that it could keep up, but at least it would be almost usable.

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
My guess is that Intel just didn't want to pay IBM for using SOI. A big mistake!

I think, for what I have heard and read during the years, Intel has become the most arrogant, bullying and corrupt company in IT-business. Today Intel is all about marketing, bribing and blackmailing.
It's like, to hell with R&D, put all in marketing.

I of course don't know how long it has been so (three decades?), but that's how Intel is today.
Somebody should put a stop to it.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Face it, Intel has a serious leakage problem.
What are you talking about I’ve been aware of that issue for quite some time did it make you feel smart to point that out did it perhaps justify your presence on a hardware forum?

Too bad they didn't spend the extra few $ on SOI there.
Again was aware of that, now does this type of powerful post make you feel less inadequate I’m still not 100% sure yet.

AMD made a great use of it and SUCCEEDED in defeating Intel.
You and Captain underpants still having that sleep over? Turns out I have plans sorry.

Intel are stingy bastards.
Fiscally wise considering how the whole performance race turned out.

My guess is that Intel just didn't want to pay IBM for using SOI. A big mistake!
Oh wow IBM invented SOI you mean Intel doesn’t have the capability to design and implement new technologies I’m very sorry to have posted I had no idea. All this time I thought Intel was an independent company but they are all run by IBM wow brains just wowed.

I think, for what I have heard and read during the years, Intel has become the most arrogant, bullying and corrupt company in IT-business. Today Intel is all about marketing, bribing and blackmailing.
It's like, to hell with R&D, put all in marketing.
Hmm personification ya Intel sure is all those things you said and probably more I bet you they have the Holy Grail, probably have Old Yeller’s body too.

Big business but the small world of Toms hardware does limit your perspective to only what is said here can only be the word of god.

I of course don't know how long it has been so (three decades?), but that's how Intel is today.
Somebody should put a stop to it.
Well Cap Undies is having a sleep over with wusy you should go be a good brain storming session for you guys maybe you can discover how Intel captured a alien and bred it into our population.

-Jeremy Dach

endyen

Splendid
more sense to play out existing and perfectly fine technologies
doesn't quite suggest
What are you talking about I’ve been aware of that issue for quite some time
I suppose we should be nicer to you though, after the beating the dual core version of your namesake took in the benchmarks I linked to in my last post.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Yes my ego is tied to my hardware next thing you know well be comparing penis sizes and the size of our women’s ovaries.

Please show me the way I completely didn’t notice that Intel has lost the performance war about 2 years maybe 3 I don’t remember its not important to me.

Yup I will need a brand new system with 64bit and dual cores and dual video cards too because I am that kind of user. Or ill settle for my 3.0 that runs just peachy, what to do what to do?

-Jeremy Dach

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
K ill try and not post BS just for you, simply because you asked.

*note, I know it aint gonna happen, so keep up the good work. Your seperate reality is always a pleasure, Spuddy ole buddy.
Ha ha oh my did you think that up or did your wife help? That sir is the humor I enjoy snide yet civilized *tips hat*.

But hey choose not to read what I say I disregard everything you guys say since your all closet cases.

*snickers*

-Jeremy Dach

He replied to Xeon!

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>