Computer Screen Goes Black and Sound Goes Off (Tech Experts Needed)?

FutureGohan94

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Yesterday, my monitor went black and the sound went off when playing deus ex human revolution on my desktop. After that I tried skyrim and splinter cell conviction, and it turns off almost instantly when the game starts (not at main menu). I can still play max payne 2 and sims 2. I called up the tech guy and he said that i need to reinstall windows 7 again. However i think it might be linked to the power supply but he disagreed. To sum it up, my screen goes black and the sound goes off. I tried different monitors but it still persists. I updated my graphics driver but its still not fixed. Should I install windows 7 again? Any Suggestions?

PC Specs:
GTX 560ti (Winfast by Leadtek) - Stock Settings
i5-2500 3.3 ghz
4 gb ddr3 ram + 2 gb ddr3 ram (seperate sticks) = 6 gb ddr3 ram
Not sure what motherboard
Power supply is supposed to be 500 w true power
Windows 7 Service Pack 1

My main dilemma here is whether i should fresh install my windows 7 and risk losing everything for nothing or whether I should talk to my tech guy about a new psu.

Plus, when i was playing deus ex hr, i smelt some thing smoky and went to smell the back of my machine, its after that when the screen went black and sound went out.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
It's possible you are having hardware issues with either the video card or the power supply. I would make sure that everything is cool inside the case. Maybe take the side off and point a desk fan into your machine to see if that makes any difference, and feel the air from the PSU. I assume that when the games stop the whole machine is unresponsive and you have to reset the PC.

It can get rather expensive if you don't have spare parts to swap and test with, which is where relaoding windows probably would be the next thing to try. If you have a spare drive or want one anyways you can always load an OS on a new drive (with yours unplugged so you don't mess up the boot sectors) and see how the games play, if you still have the problem replace the video or PSU and go back to your regular OS.