How to get Epson 636U working in Win7/64

Status
Not open for further replies.

texnnyc

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I've had my Epson 636U scanner for many years, and looking at the reviews of current flatbeds, none seem to be holding up as well as this. I was a bit reluctant to gut my machine and move from XPPro/SP3 to Win7/64, but with some judicious digging around, I was able to find the process to get it working. Tried this on my testbed system and it works.

I got mine working on Windows 7 (x64) by doing the following:

1. Download the Windows 7 Epson Scan driver for the Perfection 2400 from the
epson site

2. Allow the drivers to unzip, but cancel the install. You should have an EPSON directory created.

3. In Notepad File->Open and browse for the es27.inf files in the EPSON directory as well as subdirs

4. On line 51, 54, and 57 replace PID_011B with PID_0101

5. Save the files.

6. Run Setup.exe from the Epson directory and select the 2400. Say ok to the window that pops up and it should start installing the drivers.

7. Connect and turn on the scanner.

8. You're done!

In Photoshop you should then be able to import using WIA-Epson Perfection 2400
(importing with Epson Perfection 2400 causes Photoshop to freeze)

Thanks. There is another, more straightforward option too for scanners which connect via USB but have no compatible driver. It's software called "VueScan". It's not free but it's user-interface & powerful features easily beats anything you get with any scanner, even new ones.

Indeed, so good is VueScan that I'm even using it with a new Epson scanner instead of the very limited Epson software.

texnnyc

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks Phil - I actually found out about VueScan *after* this, and I had contacted the company to make sure they offered a TWAIN driver (I do a lot of Photoshop). They do and I may consider buying the product when I do convert my main machine.

Do you have the "home" or "professional" version? What is the "advanced options" offer in the professional version if you know?

Thanks!

Patric

Status
Not open for further replies.