Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 help online chat

Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2012 12:26:55 PM

Hello,
i have a problem...my icons in desktop have disapperaerd..i can't move the icons from another place because it says that these files are in desktop but i can't see them..i can't do send to the desktop cos it doesn't happen nothing..i don't know what to do..please help meee

More about : windows online chat

a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 12:40:12 PM

Right click on your desktop go to "View" and make sure "Show desktop icons" is checked.
m
l
December 28, 2012 12:47:26 PM

Sounds like a virus I've dealt with a few times. If it is, all your files are still intact on your desktop, just hidden.

Press Windows Key + E to open Windows Explorer.
Press Alt to show hidden menu. (If hidden)
Go to Tools > Folder Options
Go to the view tab
Under Advanced Settings there is an option to 'Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drivers' Activate this and Click Apply.

Also, be sure to run a Virus Scan. I suggest Avast (free) and be sure to run a boot-time scan.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 2:23:10 PM

You can also do ctrl+alt+del and go into Task Manager and kill the process called explorer.exe. Once everything disappears, click on the File menu, New Task (Run....) and then type explorer.exe and press enter. The icons and everything should come back at that point. If they don't you may have a corrupt kernal file and I would recommend running a sfc /scannow to try to repair it if you have the OS CD.

It would also be wise to run a spyware detector like MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
m
l
!