Sign in with
Your question

Are XP menus/ loading icons slow???

Last response: in Windows XP
November 20, 2002 12:23:08 AM

Hi There.

Did I do something wrong or is XP Professional a little slow? I have a computer with Win98se and after installing a fresh copy of XP Pro on a new computer, I notice that the "fly-out" menus (Start, Program, etc) are a little slow in showing the content. With Win98se, the menus just pop out fast, with the content. Also, I noticed my Windows XP computer, the icons on my desktop, sometimes flinched or flicker. (I can't describe it). For example, when I go/open the control panel window, I notice that it take a while for the computer to load the pictures of the icons in that window. For a milli-milli-nano second I can see different icons (looks like a piece of paper icon) before the right picture of the icons show up. The icons on my desktop sometime do that too. Sorry I can't describe it, but I hope you guys know what I mean. Your help or input on this is greatly appreciated.

My computers
Windows 98se on Pentium III 800mhz
Windows XP Pro on Pentium IV 2.4 ghz
November 20, 2002 9:51:40 AM

registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay

Change default value (400) to 0, may have to reboot.

TweakUI for XP will also do this for you.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
November 21, 2002 12:06:46 AM

Also, try going to Desktop Properties > Appearance tab > Effects

Uncheck:

"Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips"
"Show shadows under menus"

Plus, go to System Properties (My Computer > right-click > Properties)
Advanced tab
Performance Settings

For the best performance, click Custom and keep the following checked:

Show translucent selection rectangle
Show window contents while dragging
Smooth edges of screen fonts

If you like the Windows XP Luna look, also keep these checked:
"Use visual styles on windows and buttons"
"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=329" target="_new"><b>My System Rig</b></A> (courtesy of <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A>)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 11/20/02 06:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!