Bad CPU or Motherboard??

TeeZee1000

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2005
I have been using a 3.2mhz Intel Processor and a Asus P4C800-E deluxe mobo for about a year now, last night when I turned on my system It would boot up and shut right off, after the memory test completed. I tried the power button again, but the same thing continued, no warning or anything just shut off. So I thought it might be a bad PSU so I bought a new more powerful one. Installed it and the same thing happened. I took off the fan to my processor and it looked like the heatsink melted a lil bit on it. I cleaned it up and tried it again, same result. the board and chip is less than a year old so it should still be covered under warranty. When I tried turning on the system without the processor it turned on and stayed on but obviously nothing happened because there wasn't a processor installed. Any suggestions?
Update: Ok I spoke to a Tech @ intel, he told me that if it was a defective chip that I wouldn't get any display and nothing would happen. He suggested it could be my memory, Well I will check into that tonite.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by teezee1000 on 10/17/05 12:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I took off the fan to my processor and it looked like the heatsink melted a lil bit on it
That sounds bad to me. And would indicate overheating.

Might try clearing the CMOS and trying it again. If it works, check the CPU temps.

Unless you have another rig to put your memory/ram in, it's gonna be difficult to check your ram w/o a working PC to run memtest86 or whichever proggie you use for testing ram.

Post back and let us know if clearing the CMOS helped.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

pat

Expert
In order to actually melt the heat sink, it would take much heat than the CPU could endure for a long perion. What he probably sees is the thermal compound, and not actually the heat sink. And melted compound is perfectly normal and should even happen to ensure good heat transfer. To melt the heatsink, the CPU should hold an even higher temperature than the melting point of the material that the sink is made of for a certain periond of time too.. this should create a big hole in the motherboard underneath the cpu.

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

pat

Expert
remove the board from the case and try to have it post with ONLY the RAM, CPU and video card. If you have something on screen, then there is maybe a grounding problem, connection problem,...

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

endyen

Splendid
Good idea Pat. It's suprising how often people forget other components can short out.
Since secondary drives, and add-in cards are tested after ram, a short in one of those would have the same results as listed.

TeeZee1000

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2005
Yea I tried clearing the CMOS last night still the same reaction, Then I thought of something, the center of the fan was covered in a pasty type film. So I scraped it off and tried it again....voila, it worked It seems the processor needs to be in constant contact with the copper plate of the fan to work. Now I need a OEM clamp to hold the fan in place. I broke the original clamp trying to get the fan off the first time. Thanks for all your help.

That "pasty type film" was the thermal compound. It's designed to create an even contact between the HSF and the CPU. Did you completely remove the paste? Did you reapply an paste?

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>

TeeZee1000

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2005
Yeah I will reapply it tonite when I get home It was all dried out on the fan, probably cutting down the effectiveness of it. Funny thing I dont remember putting any on the first time I installed it?

Stock HSFs usually come with it already applied. Is the computer on right now? If it is and you don't have the paste applied, then I would be seriously concerned. Prescotts are not known for running cool...

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
the center of the fan was covered in a pasty type film. So I scraped it off and tried it again....voila, it worked
Hmm.. Don't use Intels these days. Am wondering if it was shutting because the fans RPM's were too low?

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

because he's a fanboi

Usually when it shuts off like that there is some kind of heat issue or hardware issue. If it was the RAM it wouldn't shutoff you would be experiencing a lot of freezes and lockups. The fact the intel guy was telling you it was the RAM was just giving you a run around. He didn't wanna deal with it.

On the side note good work on the trouble shooting!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Got similar symptoms with a different Asus model here, it's a bad capacitor on this board (at least one). And the visual signs of this capacitor being bad are...not very visable, I actually had to look several times to spot it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>