23-24" monitor for development and gaming

ununtrium

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Hello,

I'm having quite a tough time deciding a monitor for my new build. I want a 23" to 24" display for Photoshop and coding for my games development and also for mid to heavy gaming. I've been browsing sites for days and found Dell's UltraSharp U2412M a nice monitor, cause it has a 16:10 display and I think I can live without the HDMI.

Being an e-IPS display, it should be fine for my needs, but will the 8ms response time and the 60Hz refresh rate affect my gaming experience much? I don't play FPS often (mostly FIFA, NFS, Batman, AC, etc.) but when I do, I don't want to see significant lag in the gameplay. I have a nVidia 670 FTW in my build.

Several ASUS monitors are featured on Newegg made for gaming but their color reproduction and quality was questionable in many reviews. I prefer IPS to TN, but both are fine if the display has quality.

My budget for the monitor is around $350, maybe upto $400. Could you suggest any?

Solution
Response times given by manufacturers are marketing BS. You should look for a professional review from TFT Central, X-bit labs, Digital Versus, etc. that actually measures the ghosting. You also want to look at the input lag, which manufacturers give no specifications for.
Based on TFT Central's review of the Dell U2412M, it should be good for gaming. I doubt there are any better monitors in your price range.
Response times given by manufacturers are marketing BS. You should look for a professional review from TFT Central, X-bit labs, Digital Versus, etc. that actually measures the ghosting. You also want to look at the input lag, which manufacturers give no specifications for.
Based on TFT Central's review of the Dell U2412M, it should be good for gaming. I doubt there are any better monitors in your price range.

Solution

ununtrium

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Thanks for those great websites! I'll check them out for monitor reviews.
And yes, I thought about input lag but many websites didn't talk about it at all. Hmm... Another thing to look at.