Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC working until today? iaStor?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2012 1:54:51 PM

Hello,

My gaming PC has been working flawlessly until today. I built the computer on the 25th of December 2012 (3 days ago). The PC was working really well, I had very nice high FPS on Battlefield 3 with Ultra High settings. I went to boot it earlier today to play and then Windows would not boot!

Specification:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Processor: Intel i5 3570k 3.2 GHz
Ram: 16GB Kit - Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 (4x4GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps (Temporary)
Graphics: EVGA GTX 660 2GB SC

Anyway,
I go and boot my PC and Windows Startup and Repair appears, it goes through the process and then finally shows that "Boot critical file: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\iaStor.sys is corrupt." I've retried the start up repair over and over again however no luck. I have done a memory check no errors found, I have done a disk check - no errors found. I've rebuilt the boot record for windows and still no luck.

I know one of the options is to completely format the hard drive and reinstall windows, however then I would loose the 19 games that I have downloaded from Steam and Origin (and my profiles), I don't particularly want to redownload everything. (More games to download, I have 51 games on steam).

Hope you can help me.
Thanks.
a b \ Driver
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 2:01:24 PM

if you can boot into safe mode..remove the intel contol software for istore and reboot and reinstall. if you cant get into windows but can get into the command prompt. get the newest istore software and expand it and then copy to a floppy or usb stick the istore.sys file. then copy the new istore file and overwrite the older damaged file.
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 2:01:43 PM

You can do a non-destructive Windows re-install, it will keep all your user data in a Windows.old folder. I think you can then just reinstall steam and place all the data in the newly created steam folder. Or you can backup the game data to an external and just do a full wipe and install.
Related resources
December 28, 2012 2:14:21 PM

Don’t worry so much about steam. I have reformatted my PC once this year and all my steam profiles came back intact. Seems they are stored in the cloud.
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 2:15:28 PM

Steam keeps game data local on your machine, that is what he is worried about losing and having to re-download.
December 28, 2012 2:31:20 PM

My internet connection is soo slow, it takes a while to download things. However @smorizio ill try that next.

Thanks all for replys. attempted to fix again ;D
December 28, 2012 3:33:55 PM

Restorying IASTOR didn't do nothing, i get the message "OS booted successfully" now instead, however I still see startup repair?
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 3:41:16 PM

iaStor.sys is part of the Intel Control Module software (which is already known :)  )

Do you have more than one drive in the computer? In RAID possibly?

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue.

You may find out you have some bad sectors on the drive itself.
December 28, 2012 3:45:28 PM

I only have one HDD and one CD Drive connected right now (Ill be upgrading later), the most recent thing i did was a defragmentation and play some games. I'll take a look at this Hirens Boot CD now.
December 28, 2012 8:22:25 PM

Downloaded, burnt and booted from the Hirens boot cd. I have ran Memtest86 no errors found, I also did a full chkdisk and no errors or bad sectors found. What else is possible?
!