DSL Connection Speed

nasir70

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hi friends, I have 1MB DSL connection but when i download any stuff from internet then i usually get download speed of 30KB/S~45KB/S. If my DSL connection is of 1MB then why i am not getting download speed of 1MB/S.Please explain.

First, do not confuse Mbps and MBps, or Kbps and KBps. A download of 45KBps is actually 360Kbps. Your DSL is 1Mbps, or 125KBps.

Second, DSL is always the highest possible speed, not the guaranteed speed.

Just to clarify computer terminology...

b = bit
B = Bytes = 8 bits

Internet speeds is typically stated using Mbps or mega-bits per second. 1Mbps = 125KBps because you must divide the bits by 8 to get the number of bytes.

When you are downloading, the rate at which you are downloading is usually reported in KBps or KB/sec.

The site where you download from can limit the speed at which you download and/or if there is a lot of traffic that can also limit the speed at which you download as well.

I remember when 56.6Kps modems were considered fast. That works out to almost 7KB/sec.

Hey, that give me an idea...

Gaming companies should petition bring back the 56.6K modems for consumer use and restricting high speed cable for corporate and government use only. It should help cut down on piracy.

While doing a search for Mass Effect 3 Demo I came across a torrent for the actual game. The game size was around 13GB. Using a 56.6k modem it would take over 23 days to the hacker to upload the game, and it would also take all would-be-pirates over 23 days to download that pirated game. That's assuming max download speed and the computer being on 24/7 to download. Since torrents depend on peers actual download speed will be much slower, thus it may take a few or several months to illegally download that game. Either would-be-pirates not even bother to download the game to play it at all, or out of exasperation they would simply do the right thing and actually buy the game.

Shush! Any one of many techno illiterate US representatives might just push that idea forward ;)