Need a very small and powerfull HSF

ynotme

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2005
Hey folks,

I have been googleing the net for about 3 weeks and I admit defeat. I am trying to find a HSF for my Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz cpu. It runs hot…really hot. Like 65c, and I’m just surfing the web. I know there are a lot of great hsf’s that would do the job but my problem is that I have a mini case (Soltek) and the obvious stuff just won’t fit. I don’t mind paying big bucks. I have already spent $100 on other solutions that didn’t work.

Please, please help me. It's a socket 478.

Something really interesting and clever should go here…oh well…maybe next time.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If you don't have room to stick a decent cooler in there, then you have to either get a case with sufficient room, or move the heat elsewhere before dissipating it (i.e. watercooling).

What's your system temps? The cpu won't really get any cooler than the temperature of the air being blown over it. Ensure your case has good airflow.

Finally, you could get some silly tornado fan with ridiculously high airflow which will help, but will be LOUD.

Basically, small systems should never be performance ones. At least not <i>quiet</i> ones.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

ynotme

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2005
My system temps average at 40c to 45c. That's why I think a good HSF will do wondors for me.

By the way, what water cooling system do you recommend?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ynotme on 10/21/05 09:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Should've asked this sooner, but do you know if your processor is a Northwood or a Prescott?

If it's a scotty, your temps are already about at low as you'll realistically get them if you're limited by a small case.

I'm not familiar enough personally with watercooling to recommend anything, but you'll no doubt find best results are from buying separate parts rather than a kit. If you want the <i>system</i> to remain small, you're probably out of luck though, as you'll almost certainly need an external radiator which will be both ugly and take up space.

Do you <i>really</i> need a small system? I like a reasonably sized one, since I usually stick it under the desk and rest my feet on it :lol: .

A half-decent MicroATX tower will be wide enough to accommodate a decent air cooler, and will cost a lot less.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>