Wireless Networking Hiccup

Last response: in Networking
Share
October 7, 2004 11:36:04 PM

Hey folks, I'm just bumping this up again -- got no
response the first time around. Thanks in advance for any
help you can offer:

I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
and an MN-700 Wireless Hub. The connection worked just
fine for a long time, but recently, I have begun to have
intermittent connectivity problems.

Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
Then I run into the same problem again.

Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
computers hooked up to the network.

Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.

Chris
October 8, 2004 5:35:02 AM

I never responded the first time because you called a router & hub.

Thus decided I didn't want the frustration of helping someone who
doesn't know the difference.

Chris wrote:

> Hey folks, I'm just bumping this up again -- got no
> response the first time around. Thanks in advance for any
> help you can offer:
>
> I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
> and an MN-700 Wireless Hub. The connection worked just
> fine for a long time, but recently, I have begun to have
> intermittent connectivity problems.
>
> Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
> first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
> full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
> connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
> about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
> At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
> page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
> continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
> Then I run into the same problem again.
>
> Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
> via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
> connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
> computers hooked up to the network.
>
> Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
> wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
>
> Chris

assistance.

time.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 8, 2004 10:15:17 AM

Hi, I am having similar problems with a MN-710 wireless
adapter from Microsoft. You might try the Microsoft
download site for their networking products, I think I saw
a 12 meg download that included "improved" drivers for
both the Microsoft base station and the MN-700. I didn't
pay too much attention, because it did not include any
help for the MN-710 that I am stuck with.

I believe that the MN-710 (and probably the MN-700) are
probably just poorly made products. I have 3 wireless
adapters, the Microsoft 710, a Motorola WU 830G and a
Netgear WG 121. I have tried all three on three different
computers. The Motorola and Netgear install easily, and
work every time. The Microsoft adapter works about one
time in five boots.

I tried talking with Microsoft customer service (in
India!) and they were no help, other than trying to blame
other software on the computers for the problems. They
did not have an explanation for the fact that other
adapters work fine on the identical computers with the
same software.

Related resources
October 9, 2004 6:49:45 PM

Sorry. We can't all be as geeky as you.

you directly for
>assistance.
>
>If your question is worth asking, it's worth posting.
>
>If it's not worth posting you should have done a search
on
>http://www.google.com/ http://www.google.com/grphp?
hl=en&tab=wg&q= or
>http://news.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=nf&ned=us&q=
before wasting our
>time.
>.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 9, 2004 8:38:05 PM

Seriously. If you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 10, 2004 5:43:49 PM

Are you running Zone Alarm? If so install the newest version.

> Seriously. If you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

October 10, 2004 5:43:50 PM

No, I'm not. But thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

!