Windows XP and upgrading

tastim

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
I can't seem to find this information documented clearly on Microsoft's web-page... but what happens when I decide to upgrade my Processor/Motherboard (and possible hard drive) in the future in terms of that Product Activation stuff? I don't like to do upgrades like this without a fresh clean format of my Hard Drive... even if some people say they have got it to work.... just for my peace of mind I like to do it.

So by saying that I am not allowed to install my OEM copy of Windows XP on any other computers, are they trying to tell me I have to buy another XP CD/license in order to do this?

How do you deal with this legally if this is the case? I know someone is going to respond with "use such-and-such key generator, etc" but there has got to be a RIGHT way to do this right? They can't honestly expect me to buy another 100 dollar piece of software everytime I do upgrade to my computer....

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I think the way it works is you can't install it on 2 PC's at the same time, but what you want to do is legal. You just have to call them and tell them what you're doing (to be legal).

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>