vike

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I'm finally upgrading my system, but I dont want to upgrade and find out one month later my system is obsolete, or there is something better just surfacing.

Some things I am wondering if they are worth waiting on...
1. Windows Vista
2. ATI x1800xt (either performance, or for the price drop for 7800 series cards)
3. Socket M2
4. AMD FX-59 (or any future X2's)
or anything else worth waiting for...

I'm upgrading from:
AMD XP 2600
ASUS A7N8X-D
Corsair 2x512 XMS 3200
WD Raptor 74g
GeForce FX 5200

Obviously I need a new processor, mobo, and graphics card... But I was wondering whether I should upgrade now, or make a sort of halfway upgrade until newer better components come out... Here's my thoughts...

AMD FX-57 or X2 4800+
DFI UT nF4 SLI-D
ATI X800Pro (for the time being)

any suggestions?

Thanks.

pat

Expert
No matter what you'll buy, you'll always find something better soon after. So just get what you want now and enjoy now.

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

endyen

Splendid
For pro quality music and recording, the dual core is a good idea. For home studio stuff, a 3700+ san Diego would be good.
For gaming, boy do you need a better gfx card, and I do mean now.
Get the best gfx card you can, then use whatever is left to get mobo and chip. (Unless you are setting up a recording studio)

vike

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
well I'm definitely going to be upgrading, I'm mostly just concerned whether I should wait a little bit to upgrade so I don't end up spending more money than I should, or be kicking myself when I buy 'this' then 'that' comes out a month later...

What's your budget? What PSU are you using? Do you plan on OCing?

I agree with Pat on buying for the now. There will always be new gadgets right around the corner.

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>

endyen

Splendid
Look, just get <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102542R" target="_new">this</A> video card for now, then when M2 proves itself, sell that system as a gaming rig, and rebuild.

endyen

Splendid
And a year or two from now, he will almost be able to get his money back on ebay, because good agp cards will be hard to find.
Replacing that pos gfx card he has, is all he really needs.