ive got a few pins to look at for purchase, so i'm soliciting the
collective wisdom of you all, i take very seriously what i read here. i
am looking at a bally eight ball, it will be my first SS pin, and i'm
real nervous about that. i know from this newsgroup SS pins go thru
phases, good years and bad, as designs change. it the 8 ball a good
design? how would you rate it for fun, reliablity, servicablity, ect.
i'm looking tonite, so all info is greatly appreciated. thanks to all!

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Curious what you will be paying. They can go $1k on up. It's cool because
it's THe Fonz, kinda sorta, BUT, you can get an EM Star Pool pin, by
Williams for $100 on up, and it's the same pool balls to light thing, with a
spinning wheel that was also used on Tales OF Arabian Nights, covered by the
genie lamp. I've seen sparkling clean plug and play Star Pool pins, $500 at
shows. That's the most that pin should fetch. Also, although solid state,
it might just be a chime assembly. Really, no different than an average EM.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

"mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> ive got a few pins to look at for purchase, so i'm soliciting the
> collective wisdom of you all, i take very seriously what i read here. i
> am looking at a bally eight ball, it will be my first SS pin, and i'm
> real nervous about that. i know from this newsgroup SS pins go thru
> phases, good years and bad, as designs change. it the 8 ball a good
> design? how would you rate it for fun, reliablity, servicablity, ect.
> i'm looking tonite, so all info is greatly appreciated. thanks to all!
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

I love the original Bally 8Ball. Its one of my favorites. SS with real
chimes - nice! :)

- Bill

"mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> ive got a few pins to look at for purchase, so i'm soliciting the
> collective wisdom of you all, i take very seriously what i read here. i
> am looking at a bally eight ball, it will be my first SS pin, and i'm
> real nervous about that. i know from this newsgroup SS pins go thru
> phases, good years and bad, as designs change. it the 8 ball a good
> design? how would you rate it for fun, reliablity, servicablity, ect.
> i'm looking tonite, so all info is greatly appreciated. thanks to all!
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Mike,
I have two Bally machines from the same era, Power Play and Mata Hari.
I enjoy them both and they are easy to fix and maintain, and like the
other Mike said, they will need some work. Parts are available if you
know where to look. I can if you need it.

steve

---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
Hermitage, TN
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

I just replace all 3 with new 10 amp units, add a heat sink to the back
plate and let 'er fly. Still looks original and just enough better
heat characteristics so they don't burn up again. I don't like the
look of those huge oversized BR hanging off the board like that. Just
my opinion....

K2

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

I have one sitting behind me right now & I think its a "Keeper" !!

True, they need a few up-grades to keep them going, But all I did was
put a Alltek in mine & no problems since !,

Now if I had gotton a Set of Jeff's Cab Stencils while I could have
then I could make this into a Very Nice game, Can you Hear Me Jeff !!!!
??/.

Mike, I think $ 800.00 is LOW,, A nice Backglass would almost bring
half of that .

Pin-Del,

"mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> ive got a few pins to look at for purchase, so i'm soliciting the
> collective wisdom of you all, i take very seriously what i read here. i
> am looking at a bally eight ball, it will be my first SS pin, and i'm
> real nervous about that. i know from this newsgroup SS pins go thru
> phases, good years and bad, as designs change. it the 8 ball a good
> design? how would you rate it for fun, reliablity, servicablity, ect.
> i'm looking tonite, so all info is greatly appreciated. thanks to all!
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

I have two Eight Ball pins at the moment. Very fun game. This era of Bally
S.S. can be very tempermental. Plan on doing some upgrades to the power
board (bridges) and driver board (ground mod). Probably new connectors here
and there. These are not hard to work on, with lots of tech info available.
Check the MPU battery for leakage and board corrosion (very common). Also
run the game through tests with the test button inside the coin door. This
will test all controlled lamps, coils, switches and all display segments.
Good luck. John

Just for argument's sake, I think $800 is high for that game unless in
perfect condition.

I very much enjoy playing this game. It is one of the first games I
played on location and could not get enough. It's dated now, but still
fun to play.

-cody
CARGPB#4

Del wrote:
> I have one sitting behind me right now & I think its a "Keeper" !!
>
> True, they need a few up-grades to keep them going, But all I did was
> put a Alltek in mine & no problems since !,
>
> Now if I had gotton a Set of Jeff's Cab Stencils while I could have
> then I could make this into a Very Nice game, Can you Hear Me Jeff !!!!
> ??/.
>
> Mike, I think $ 800.00 is LOW,, A nice Backglass would almost bring
> half of that .
>
> Pin-Del,

I here you guys on the Bridge rectifiers and can understand why, but
just wanted to share this.
My 1st machine was a KI$$. I had it restored about 3 years ago. The
person who did it rebuilt the power supply with original size bridge
rectifiers, heat sinks...etc..and replaced all header pins and used
trifurcon pins on the connectors. It was a complete restoration so the
voltage regulator board got all new cap's, ground upgrades..etc..new
ultimate mpu board...
The only issue I have ever had in these 3 years is a few lamp sockets
acting up, other than that, this plays really fast for an old SS.

mike hooker <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in news:sEWZe.28$hp6.9491
@news.uswest.net:

> ive got a few pins to look at for purchase, so i'm soliciting the
> collective wisdom of you all, i take very seriously what i read here. i
> am looking at a bally eight ball, it will be my first SS pin, and i'm
> real nervous about that. i know from this newsgroup SS pins go thru
> phases, good years and bad, as designs change. it the 8 ball a good
> design? how would you rate it for fun, reliablity, servicablity, ect.
> i'm looking tonite, so all info is greatly appreciated. thanks to all!
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

This was my first pin. Mine was picked up at an auto swap meet for $200,
all that worked were the lights. But with help and advice, I rebuilt the
flippers (new coils), new solenoid board, cleaned the MPU (mud dauber
nest) and had help rebuilding the power supply (the FIRST thing to check
on these machines). After all that, it works good as new. Mind you, I
never touched a pin in my life (my experience was a Seeburg jukebox), so
it was easy to learn & repair.

Check for acid damage on the MPU, poor power supply output and burned
connectors on the power supply (seems to fry the large connector - both
of my Bally SS's have/had this issue).

It's fun, fast paced and never boring. I like it. I now have a second,
Strikes & Spares - raising it "from the dead".

I think that's 1/2 the fun of this hobby. I couldn't believe it when I
got 8-Ball to work - I about did backflips across my basement :)