New LG 3D IPS

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I read a article saying that LG is in the process of making a IPS 3D monitor,[strike] is this the first of its kind? [/strike]I have a few more questions regarding this monitor which i believe is set to debut at CES and i think i read will be available to consumers by in Feb.

I read that there are a 23 inch version and a 27 inch version. I never saw pricing but was curious to how much people thought each version might cost? [strike]Regarding the 27 inch version, will it most likely feature a different resolution than 1920x1080 as i've seen most 27 inch IPS monitors i believe feature something either dramatically different or a little different, 16:9/16:10[/strike]. One of the biggest questions i have if the monitor will feature the 120 Hz 2D since it seems most monitors with 3D also have this feature, which i've read to have a noticeable benefit not only with mouse scrolling but also slightly helps gaming quality, especially at higher FPS.

The final question i have and is probably a age old question is how badly will the IPS panel effect FPS gaming for games like Battlefield 3(FPS) since that's one of the main titles i play now and will be playing for quite some time into the future, the game i'm playing at the moment and again into the distant feature is Swtor which i know will benefit from the IPS monitor, if it has a 8ms or so input lag will it be noticeable over the 22 inch samsung TN-LED i run right now?

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'm pretty interested in them too.

FYI Panasonic has 3d 120hz IPS TVs out. So you can't really call it the first of it's kind.

That part that confuses me is that I don't think there is an interface that can send more than 1920x1080 at 120hz, and the 27" panel is listed at 2560x1440.

Response time has little to do with input lag. 8ms is less than 1/100th of a second. Most people can't process faster than 150ms. And other factors in your system add input lag, so that it's very difficult for it to go below 50ms (or so)

The big thing a faster response time does for you is to get rid of ghosting and blur. A 120hz IPS panel should be able to more effectively use overdrive, so we might see one with a RT of 4 or 5.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
There's a difference between 120hz input and 120hz internal processing. The vast vast (vast) majority of TVs that claim 120hz (or higher) mean 120hz internal processing.

This can mean things like inserting black frames and other tricks. While these can be useful, it's nowhere as good as a true 120hz input display.

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Reading this post:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1661197

made it seem like the monitor wasn't necessarily going to be running at 2560x1440 and if it did it wouldn't feature a 120 Hz 2D display as this is a feature i'm definitely going to want to have in my next monitor purchase(true 120 hz input) for the reduced ghosting and blur(sounds awesome).

So if it turns out at CES when the monitor is shown that it is indeed not running at that resolution but 1920x1080p or is running 2560x1440 but not running the true input 120Hz are there any good 27 inch TN panels with decent colors(not ips quality but close) that run the 120 hz 2d input?

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I feel like I have looked everywhere, and not just the public channels but I can't find any evidence that we will see a true 120hz 3D IPS monitor any time soon.

I would even settle for a 1080p model but all we have are these (what look like to me) crappy passive LG displays that compromise the resolution not to mention frame rate.

Don't believe the hype.

It's not even pro IPS anyway.

Please, prove me wrong :p

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

I am waiting on reviews of the "Acer HN274HB" with Lightboost and 3D Vision 2 capabilities. To me this looks like your best bet. If it succeeds the last gen model (of the same name) then the colours might actually be good enough for more than just gaming. At least I hope so. We'll see what happens anyway.

:D

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
i snagged a Samsung SA750D and i think it's been a great monitor so far. In the review i read it had a 1000:1 contrast ratio which is pretty good i think for a TN panel. But the biggest thing that pushed me towards it was the 120 hz and the fact it supported amd's 3d(not as important as the 120 hz) as well as the fact it was 1080p. I just snagged a 7970 and overclocked it to max in overdrive around 1125 core/1500+ memory i believe. In 1600p my frames would be pretty low with a single card(trying to play every game at ultra) and i don't plan on xfiring until they're cheaper which is why i went with a 1080p screen. I also have poor vision so the smaller text would be hard for me to adjust to. It would be nice to have the better viewing angles of the IPS panel but im happy with the samsung. It did come with a dead pixel so i'll be RMAing it to newegg tomorrow but they're usually pretty good about RMA's from my experience with them in the past.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Sounds good. I think I'll still wait for the Acer to come out here in Australia though.

I agree 27" is good for a 3D display, lots of people complain it's too big but if you are watching 3D Blurays for example 24" is just too compact imo.

My problem is I can't find a decent review of the new Acer HN274Htbmiiid anywhere! Surely someone has experience??

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
i have a UN46700D samsung tv and 3d is nice for movies and a few tv shows but i'd focus more on things like viewing angle, color, refresh rate(true 120hz), ect. for a monitor. Although i can't comment on 3D gaming because i haven't tried it on the computer yet. but i know i use 2d a lot more for my tv than i do 3d. probably something like 95% 2D to 5% 3D and it has auto conversion 3D so i could watch anything i wanted in 3D if i turn it on to convert it from 2D to 3D (3D is fun though when i use it, just watch rise of the planet of the apes in 3D conversion a few weeks ago).

For a straight up gaming monitor i'd look for a 120Hz monitor especially if you do a lot of FPS gaming but if it's a mixed amount of fps/mmo/ect/photo editing/3d modeling then you might be happier with a IPS monitor. the 3D ips monitor by LG is suppose to come out in feb. but i haven't seen any mention of 120Hz associated with it if it's gonna feature a better viewing angle like one seen in a normal 27 inch ips panel.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, that's where im stuck at the moment. You see I do 3D animation and image editing so IPS would be great, but I am also planning on getting into stereoscopic production (and 3D gaming design) and of course, playing games so 120Hz would be perfect.

The LG might just be what I am looking for, but it's too hard to tell until some real reviews come out. I'm mainly worried that it's not 120Hz and being passive, some of the resolution is compromised.

Unless the new Acer to be released turns out to have amazing colour I suppose I should wait for something better...

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
ya thats where i was at. I've dabbed in 3d Modeling and animation as well as photo editing in free time for fun but spend a lot more time on my computer gaming than either of those two hobbies which is why i went with the samsung.

if i were you and didn't need the monitor right away i'd definitely wait until more reviews/information comes out about the monitor. I was just tired of waiting, i bought all my new parts back in november and waited until the 7970 released to actually rebuild my computer and update it which is why i jumped on the samsung after i did a little research, i've had alot of samsung monitors in the past and they've never really let me down(first time i've ever had a dead pixel out of the 3-4 ive owned).

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Yep, I think Ill just suck it up and be patient. I'm really interested in 3D gaming (have been messing around a bit with Tridef using anaglyph) but 1st priority is my work. I am a bit tired of waiting though, I have spent years monitoring the 3D display market for the perfect solution.

chanshin

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I just bought the new LGD2743 IPS 3D LED backlit monitor. It comes in 1920 x 1080 resolution and with 2 3d glasses. Have not yet figured out how to properly get 3D to work because stupid Nvidia 3D TV Play doesnt support anything smaller than 32". Also have not tried 3D movies yet. The screen has a different finish that almost gives you a minor reflection you get from plastic. You are able to see the monitor in any angle. The monitor itself very thin, probably around 3/4 of one inch. The brightness is not very bright but very nice to use for my desktop. If you guys want I can post the model and pictures later. Got it for around $3600 HKD ($450 USD).