Best perf/price cpu for that old board?

pat

Expert
Ok, I'm now the owner of a MSI 6533 mb with SIS 650NB and 961 SB. The capacitors are bad and I plan to replace them. And I'll need a CPU. Socket 478b written on the socket.

This board only support PC2100 memory, because of the integrated graphic. I know that celeron are bad, but for a simple test computer, it might be ok. I don't want to spend too much. So, is there a good CPU I can put on that board that will perform fair enough and that could be OCed by some kind of trick if I use a video card and let go the integrated graphic. I know a lot when it come to AMD cpu but wih older intel, that's another story.

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

pat

Expert
And there is something I don't understand. From the supported CPU list, it only list that only CPU with 400FSB (4x100) are supported, but the chipset supportPC2100 which could lead to 4x133 so fsb 533 CPU.. But fsb533 CPU are not supported..

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't have to fix the board, just wait for <A HREF="http://www.msisettlement.com/" target="_new">the settlement</A> and MSI will be forced to fix it free.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
You are a member of the proposed Settlement class (the "Class"), if you are within the <b>United States</b> and you purchased during the period 1999 through the present, at wholesale or retail, a MSI Motherboard manufactured between 1999 and May 2002 inclusive

Great.. I'll have to send you the board Crash ...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")ώ(") This is my bunny.. no more mumps.. ready for assaulting Wingding's holed bunny!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Send it to someone else here now, I'll fix it and give them a receipt for $100 repair, then we can split the money 60/30/10.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
What if.. I send you the board, you do whatever you want with it, but you send me an old socketA motherboard functionnal with onboard video instead?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")ώ(") This is my bunny.. no more mumps.. ready for assaulting Wingding's holed bunny!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, out of stock.

oh jeeze ... Pentium 4 Northwood, 2.4B's should be good for ya i think.

don't mock it - thats not bad for a test computer. I'm running a 700mhz athlon with like 128mb RAM heh. I use it as a SQL server and IIS server.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

pat

Expert
Does these 2.4B compare to AXP2400+ in term of overall performance?

(\__/)
(='.'=)

endyen

Splendid
That might be pushing it. I dont remember anyone getting one of those 845s past 150 mhz fsb. That's a 50% OC. A 77% OC would be close to legandary.
There are a lot of people who would say that the P4b 2.4 rated about even with a 2000+ xp. The Intel chips were severly bandwidth limited, esp on single channel mem buses.

pat

Expert
hummm. The mobo only seems to support PC2100 memory with its integrated video...

The more I'm thinking about it, I may just throw it to the recycling bin ..

(\__/)
(=<font color=red><b>˚</b></font color=red>.'=)
(")ώ(") This is my bunny..terminator!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2.4B on PC1066 wasted the 2000+...

endyen

Splendid
Too true, but the ram cost more than the 2000+. Not a reasonable exchange. It was also close to the 2400+, but again, you could get the Amd chip plus ram for the same price as either the ram or the Intel chip. Not good value, IMHO.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I paid $150 for my 2.4B with motherboard AND 512MB PC1066. Yet people still told me I got ripped off.

well they are both similar ... if you got an intel board already than just go with the intel.

If you were buying all new i'd say buy what makes you comfortable. Both chips are similar in performance. I always recommend people doing their own research. Lots of fanboyism on this forum.

I would just choose the intel one mainly because i liked how easy it was putting the heatsink on the mobo and the fact i didn't have to worry about crushing the core or heat issues.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

pat

Expert
Well, I know what I can get..The situation is, I have a computer that is running fine and I dont need to upgrade it now.. well, maybe, but that's another story. But a friend of mine brought me her computer because it was running really bad.. I checked the motherboard and find that the capacitors are busted on. I put a newer board in her computer, and I kept the old board for experiment.

I always have used AMD CPU. Not that I don't like Intel, but AMD simply give me a better performance/price ratio. And I never had any trouble with every system I built, either for me or for other. And, I simply don't know nothing about older Intel CPU. That why I wanted to know which CPU would be nice on that board if I recap it that will perform nice (keeping in mind the chipset limitation) without wasting my money.

But considering the age and performance, and how inexpensive CPU/motherboard with sempron are right now, I don't thing it worth the time to change capacitors and the price of the CPU, unless I can have it for no more than 35-40$...

(\__/)

pat

Expert
Well, I dont know if I'll even buy another old socket A motherboard. I'll keep the t-bird for testing purpose, but not sure if I'll want to use it for something serious.

(\__/)