My parents have asked me to research a new laptop for them. They have had problems with reliability in the past so that is the primary concern.
1. What is your budget? Around $700
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15in or larger
3. What screen resolution do you want? not important
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? no
5. How much battery life do you need? best possible
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? No.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Photos, movies, web camming
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I would think anything 250gb or larger
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? The longer the better
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? Just DVD w/writer
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
They have had problems with their Toshiba, huge headache.
13. What country do you live in? USA
Thanks for any advice.
You should look into the Dell Studio 15. It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It is a nice size (15.6" and weighs 5.5 lbs) so it is portable but also large enough for watching movies and viewing photos. It is perfect for productivity and entertainment.