Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anyone have bumper posts installed in town square area of ..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 5:51:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Hi folks,

I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)

Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?

I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
a mini-slingshot?

thanks.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 7:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

so, lloyd:

do you have any issues with SDTM drains with these posts in place? i
really am thinking about doing this as an outlane feed from jet bumpers
should never occur, in my opinion, and happens on my game quite often.

thanks!
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 7:29:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I found that if you remove the metal plate with the 3 holes in it for
the outlane adjustment, and replace it with a washer and nut you can
adjust the post all the way down to make the outlane more liberal. Then
the drains on that side are reduced and the problem is solved. I prefer
this arrangement as you get some nice action in the jets without the
silly looking rubbers.

-Tom

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinb...
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 9:06:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I tried using 2 posts and a rubber there for a while when I first got
my TZ. The ball seemed to come out of the pops and go SDTM a lot. I
ended up getting a couple of plastic plugs from the local hardware
store and installing them.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 9:32:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

No I don't. LTG :) 

<jjordan5@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:1127773440.449896.279380@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> so, lloyd:
>
> do you have any issues with SDTM drains with these posts in place? i
> really am thinking about doing this as an outlane feed from jet bumpers
> should never occur, in my opinion, and happens on my game quite often.
>
> thanks!
>
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 10:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

keep the posts out. the game plays much better that way.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
> somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
> phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
> draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
>
> Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
> as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
>
> I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
> each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
> a mini-slingshot?
>
> thanks.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 12:50:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Plays better without them. Funny thing I was unaware of; apparently
later runs didn't even have the holes there. I've only seen one like
this, Ron Chan's. All others I've ever seen have the plugs.

jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
> somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
> phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
> draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
>
> Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
> as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
>
> I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
> each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
> a mini-slingshot?
>
> thanks.
>

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 12:57:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I think Ted Estes might have mentioned in one of his Gameroom magazine
articles on TZ that the posts weren't found to be particularly effective once
the game went into full production, and lead to an equally objectionable
amount of drains down the middle when installed.

You'd need a pair of T-nuts, posts, and mounting screws if you wanted to
re-install these. The plugs (tree clips) can't be removed without destroying
them. PBR did stock the clips a year or so back; I don't know if they still
have them.

A rubber ring spanned both posts.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <1127767911.717464.83940@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
>somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
>phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
>draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
>
>Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
>as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
>
>I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
>each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
>a mini-slingshot?
>
>thanks.
>
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 12:57:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Mine has two clear posts, two rings span span both. LTG :) 

"Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic" <tonydz@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:6IKdnSe1qeU9_aXeRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> I think Ted Estes might have mentioned in one of his Gameroom magazine
> articles on TZ that the posts weren't found to be particularly effective
once
> the game went into full production, and lead to an equally objectionable
> amount of drains down the middle when installed.
>
> You'd need a pair of T-nuts, posts, and mounting screws if you wanted to
> re-install these. The plugs (tree clips) can't be removed without
destroying
> them. PBR did stock the clips a year or so back; I don't know if they
still
> have them.
>
> A rubber ring spanned both posts.
>
> Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 12:59:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Mine has the posts. Has since I got it. I've never played a TZ without them,
I don't think.
With the posts installed, balls that drop off the powerfield, sometimes
bounce of the post rubber, SDTM. After this happens once (or twice) you
learn to nudge the machine as the ball hits the rubber.
--
Chris Hibler
chibler@-NOSPAM-charter.net (munged)
Twi*light Zone, Ge*nie, Spider*man, and a bunch of EMs
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

<jjordan5@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:1127767911.717464.83940@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
> somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
> phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
> draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
>
> Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
> as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
>
> I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
> each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
> a mini-slingshot?
>
> thanks.
>
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 1:42:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Mine has no plugs and I know of three more that don't.

GRY

"Cliffy" <crinear@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:htCdnU-kQf4OXKXeRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
> Plays better without them. Funny thing I was unaware of; apparently later
> runs didn't even have the holes there. I've only seen one like this, Ron
> Chan's. All others I've ever seen have the plugs.
>
> jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
>> somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
>> phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
>> draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
>>
>> Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
>> as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
>>
>> I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
>> each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
>> a mini-slingshot?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>
> --
> Cliffy - CARGPB2
> A passion for pinball!
> http://www.passionforpinball.com
!