Anyone have bumper posts installed in town square area of ..

Hi folks,

I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)

Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?

I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
a mini-slingshot?

thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about anyone bumper posts installed town square area

    Never heard of this before. Mine doesn't have them. Found the article
    with a picture:

    http://www.gameroommagazine.com/tzproto3.htm

    John

    so, lloyd:

    do you have any issues with SDTM drains with these posts in place? i
    really am thinking about doing this as an outlane feed from jet bumpers
    should never occur, in my opinion, and happens on my game quite often.

    thanks!

    I found that if you remove the metal plate with the 3 holes in it for
    the outlane adjustment, and replace it with a washer and nut you can
    adjust the post all the way down to make the outlane more liberal. Then
    the drains on that side are reduced and the problem is solved. I prefer
    this arrangement as you get some nice action in the jets without the
    silly looking rubbers.

    -Tom

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinballmachineaccessories/index.html

    I tried using 2 posts and a rubber there for a while when I first got
    my TZ. The ball seemed to come out of the pops and go SDTM a lot. I
    ended up getting a couple of plastic plugs from the local hardware
    store and installing them.

    No I don't. LTG :)

    <jjordan5@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > so, lloyd:
    >
    > do you have any issues with SDTM drains with these posts in place? i
    > really am thinking about doing this as an outlane feed from jet bumpers
    > should never occur, in my opinion, and happens on my game quite often.
    >
    > thanks!

    keep the posts out. the game plays much better that way.

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
    > somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
    > phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
    > draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
    >
    > Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
    > as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
    >
    > I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
    > each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
    > a mini-slingshot?
    >
    > thanks.

    Plays better without them. Funny thing I was unaware of; apparently
    later runs didn't even have the holes there. I've only seen one like
    this, Ron Chan's. All others I've ever seen have the plugs.

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    I think Ted Estes might have mentioned in one of his Gameroom magazine
    articles on TZ that the posts weren't found to be particularly effective once
    the game went into full production, and lead to an equally objectionable
    amount of drains down the middle when installed.

    You'd need a pair of T-nuts, posts, and mounting screws if you wanted to
    re-install these. The plugs (tree clips) can't be removed without destroying
    them. PBR did stock the clips a year or so back; I don't know if they still
    have them.

    A rubber ring spanned both posts.

    Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

    In article <1127767911.717464.83940@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
    >somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
    >phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
    >draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
    >
    >Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
    >as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
    >
    >I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
    >each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
    >a mini-slingshot?
    >
    >thanks.

    Mine has two clear posts, two rings span span both. LTG :)

    "Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic" <tonydz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I think Ted Estes might have mentioned in one of his Gameroom magazine
    > articles on TZ that the posts weren't found to be particularly effective
    once
    > the game went into full production, and lead to an equally objectionable
    > amount of drains down the middle when installed.
    >
    > You'd need a pair of T-nuts, posts, and mounting screws if you wanted to
    > re-install these. The plugs (tree clips) can't be removed without
    destroying
    > them. PBR did stock the clips a year or so back; I don't know if they
    still
    > have them.
    >
    > A rubber ring spanned both posts.
    >
    > Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

    Mine has the posts. Has since I got it. I've never played a TZ without them,
    I don't think.
    With the posts installed, balls that drop off the powerfield, sometimes
    bounce of the post rubber, SDTM. After this happens once (or twice) you
    learn to nudge the machine as the ball hits the rubber.
    --
    Chris Hibler
    chibler@-NOSPAM-charter.net (munged)

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
    > somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
    > phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
    > draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
    >
    > Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
    > as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
    >
    > I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
    > each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
    > a mini-slingshot?
    >
    > thanks.

    Mine has no plugs and I know of three more that don't.

    GRY

    "Cliffy" <crinear@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Plays better without them. Funny thing I was unaware of; apparently later
    > runs didn't even have the holes there. I've only seen one like this, Ron
    > Chan's. All others I've ever seen have the plugs.
    >
    > jjordan5@columbus.rr.com wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I have two "buttons" in the playfield in town square. i read
    >> somewhere that Lawlor had bumpers in this area during the prototype
    >> phase, and they were very effective at keeping bumper shots from
    >> draining down the left outlane(something that really ticks me off)
    >>
    >> Does anyone have these on their pf? I'm wondering if its as simple
    >> as removing the buttons from the pf and putting them in?
    >>
    >> I'm also wondering was it two posts with a single round rubber on
    >> each, or was a larger set of rubbers wound around both posts to create
    >> a mini-slingshot?
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >>

    > --
    > Cliffy - CARGPB2