Need Advice on AMD DC

nitto1320i

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2005
Hi
i was wondering if anyone can help me out which to get. im planning on upgrading my cpu to amd's x2 3800+ or x2 4200+.. im kinda confuse which one to get.. for 13 years ive been using intels. and just a few months i bought an amd64 3200+ and i was impressed with its performance and capabilities.. so that makes me a noob on amd's.. :p im currently running on

Amd64 3200+ (939)
K8N SLI Platinum
2 MSI 6600GT (128)
4 1GB DDR400
2 200GB SATA
2 80GB SATA
Cooler Master Water cooling

i play games a lot.. but when i tried F.E.A.R my system starts to get jerky.. :( what i mean is that i would like to get a better gaming machine.. will the new x2 3800+ or x2 4800+ help? sorry. im just frustrated seeing/playing a game with hangs. :(

FEAR is killing a lot of systems - even systems with top end video cards.

The biggest holdup for you is the graphics cards - not the CPU. A shiny new 7800GT to replace those SLI 6600GT would be the best upgrade for you. $329 after MIR at Newegg.com - then Ebay those 6600GT - you'll probably get more than half the cost of the 7800GT from those 6600GT.

Is that a Venice or Winchester core A64? You have 4GB of RAM? You're probably taking a performance hit from the timings on the RAM, too.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

nitto1320i

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2005
hi, thanks for the fast reply.. :D my amd is venice s939. i really appreciate your advice. would there be anything else i need to get my pc in shape? sorry for my frustration.. i spent too much on pc's already. :( what do you mean by taking a performance hit from the timings on the RAM?

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
when you have 4 1 gig sticks, the command rate goes to 2t, which is a real world performance hit. theres no point whatsoever, sell 2 gigs in order to cut costs even further on the upgrade you really need, which is a new video card. a 3800x2 will perform identically to yours in gaming, the only difference is you will be able to run a second task while gaming.

In addition to what Julius said when your RAM is not fully utilized, the system still has to search all of that memory to find what it needs and that causes a slow down. Unless you are doing some SERIOUS video encoding - professional level, then you don't need 4GB. With that much RAM it is also possible that the RAM has downclocked the FSB and loosened the timings for extra stability.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

nitto1320i

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2005
Thanks for the great advices.. i'll go get the 7800gt then. :D and one more thing about overclocking my venice. :( havent tried overclocking yet. :( could you guys give me some basic step how i could oc? my bios doest show any multiplier. :(

TRENDING THREADS