Windows 7 clean install hangs at starting windows screen

JammMusic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I recently got a new asus laptop and some of my programs aren't compatible with windows 8. So i'm trying to downgrade to windows 7 because i never liked w8 in the first place. So when i boot from CD (64-bit windows 7 ultimate) it will install without any problems, but when it gets to the 'starting windows' screen the animation freezes and it just stays there.. I've been looking on various forums and it seems like quite a lot of people are having this problem. A majority of the cases seem to be solved by disabling drivers or updating them. But i'm not sure how to do that from the bios. Help is appreciated!

Solution

JammMusic I found the solution. Go to the BIOS, then go to the BOOT tab, then MAKE SURE that Secure Boot is DISABLED, then go to CSM and ENABLE it. Save the changes and boot to the disc, if you are doing an install from Windows, now it should work :) Let me know if it helped you.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
fixing your problem may involve opening command prompt from the boot disk and using commands to fix your hdd/ssd, or it could be as simple as reformatting the disk to remove all data so there aren't any conflicts.

If you can still access your data, put it on an external hard drive or flash drive before you try to solve the problem.

JammMusic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Yes i have my files backed up. Now i'm trying to get back into the bios.. which isn't easy on windows 8 because you only have like .2 seconds to press the right button.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
that's good, now remember: that .2 seconds is not windows 8, just a pc with a really good boot time. I understand your frustration, but you shouldn't need to get into the bios unless you are changing the boot order to boot to the dvd drive.

Once you boot into the windows 7 install, click next a few times and it will come to a screen asking which drive to use, and that's where you can reformat the hard drive.

You said that you booted to the CD, it should have went into setup again. If it locked up there, you either did not hit it fast enough to boot to the CD or there is something else going in.

You can do a full format of the drive from within Windows Setup. Is there anything else connected to the computer when you attempt to reinstall?

Is this a SSD drive in the laptop?

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. They have options of even going in and doing a low-level format of the drive so that you ensure it's clean since most companies now include a recovery partition and you don't like Windows 8 so you wouldn't be losing anything by doing so.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
Why do you not like windows 8? if it's because of the missing start menu, you should try to get it back to windows 8 and buy start8, a program designed for making windows 8 feel like windows 7 without losing the performance of the new windows os.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

JammMusic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I'm good with software, but i am terrible with hardware. Could you tell me how to find what type of hard drive i have?

JammMusic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
'

I am a music producer and i use FL studio. A vital plugin that i use is not compatible with windows 8.. And plus i just don't like how most programs are full screen on w8.

You should be able to get into the BIOS and it will tell you for sure what model hdd it is. What is the make/model of your laptop and I'll try to locate some info on the BIOS for you?

I was gonna recommend using CPU-Z or Speccy but you can't get to Windows so that would be pointless. :)

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

+1

JammMusic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

It is an Asus core i5 3210m
6g ram

i'm on bios but i don't see hdd type.

JammMusic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Hi brett. My boot option for the disc is [UEFI: MATSHITADVD-RAMUJ8B2]
So.. how do i turn that off? And that disc is the windows 7 disc.

Hi :)

You will have to look at the bios options, both for the hard drive and DVD drive...

TURN OFF UEFI FOR BOTH!!!!

Its intended for 8 and totally screws up 7 loading (as you no doubt noticed lol)

All the best Brett :)

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Windows 7 (if not the latest Service Pack) has an issue with Nvidia chipsets and will lockup at the start screen. Just an FYI if you have that. If you are trying to go to Windows 8 just use any Windows XP disk 32 bit and do a fresh install then install Windows 8 from that. Skip Win7. Windows 8 is awesome so far. I don't see any issues except the whining about the start bar. I don't need it. Everything is so simply why would you go back to doing 3-4 click when its down to 1.

Hi :)

When answering a question for help, it helps if YOU READ THE WHOLE THREAD...

His software is NOT working in 8 which is why he sensibly wants (needs) to load 7....

Oh and as someone who owns shops and loads Windows EVERY day, you comment about 7 and Nvidia chip sets is total tosh...

All the best Brett :)