Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 clean install hangs at starting windows screen

Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2012 5:32:03 PM

I recently got a new asus laptop and some of my programs aren't compatible with windows 8. So i'm trying to downgrade to windows 7 because i never liked w8 in the first place. So when i boot from CD (64-bit windows 7 ultimate) it will install without any problems, but when it gets to the 'starting windows' screen the animation freezes and it just stays there.. I've been looking on various forums and it seems like quite a lot of people are having this problem. A majority of the cases seem to be solved by disabling drivers or updating them. But i'm not sure how to do that from the bios. Help is appreciated!
December 28, 2012 5:36:35 PM

I would just reformat and reinstall again, sometimes it glitches out. Best of luck.
m
l
December 28, 2012 5:49:46 PM

fixing your problem may involve opening command prompt from the boot disk and using commands to fix your hdd/ssd, or it could be as simple as reformatting the disk to remove all data so there aren't any conflicts.

If you can still access your data, put it on an external hard drive or flash drive before you try to solve the problem.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2012 5:54:39 PM

Yes i have my files backed up. Now i'm trying to get back into the bios.. which isn't easy on windows 8 because you only have like .2 seconds to press the right button.
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:01:49 PM

that's good, now remember: that .2 seconds is not windows 8, just a pc with a really good boot time. I understand your frustration, but you shouldn't need to get into the bios unless you are changing the boot order to boot to the dvd drive.

Once you boot into the windows 7 install, click next a few times and it will come to a screen asking which drive to use, and that's where you can reformat the hard drive.
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:13:07 PM

I'm confused. I just booted from the disc again and it froze on starting windows. So how am i supposed to format from there?
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:18:39 PM

did it give you any installation options, or did it just freeze as soon as it booted
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:19:23 PM

JammMusic said:
I'm confused. I just booted from the disc again and it froze on starting windows. So how am i supposed to format from there?

You said that you booted to the CD, it should have went into setup again. If it locked up there, you either did not hit it fast enough to boot to the CD or there is something else going in.

You can do a full format of the drive from within Windows Setup. Is there anything else connected to the computer when you attempt to reinstall?

Is this a SSD drive in the laptop?
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:20:05 PM

All it does is, is it says 'loading files' on the black screen.. Then when it goes to the 'starting windows' screen it just freezes there.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:20:56 PM

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. They have options of even going in and doing a low-level format of the drive so that you ensure it's clean since most companies now include a recovery partition and you don't like Windows 8 so you wouldn't be losing anything by doing so.
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:24:35 PM

Why do you not like windows 8? if it's because of the missing start menu, you should try to get it back to windows 8 and buy start8, a program designed for making windows 8 feel like windows 7 without losing the performance of the new windows os.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:27:00 PM

hedwar2011 said:
You said that you booted to the CD, it should have went into setup again. If it locked up there, you either did not hit it fast enough to boot to the CD or there is something else going in.

You can do a full format of the drive from within Windows Setup. Is there anything else connected to the computer when you attempt to reinstall?

Is this a SSD drive in the laptop?

I'm good with software, but i am terrible with hardware. Could you tell me how to find what type of hard drive i have?
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:29:18 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
Why do you not like windows 8? if it's because of the missing start menu, you should try to get it back to windows 8 and buy start8, a program designed for making windows 8 feel like windows 7 without losing the performance of the new windows os.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
'

I am a music producer and i use FL studio. A vital plugin that i use is not compatible with windows 8.. And plus i just don't like how most programs are full screen on w8.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:29:34 PM

JammMusic said:
I'm good with software, but i am terrible with hardware. Could you tell me how to find what type of hard drive i have?

You should be able to get into the BIOS and it will tell you for sure what model hdd it is. What is the make/model of your laptop and I'll try to locate some info on the BIOS for you?

I was gonna recommend using CPU-Z or Speccy but you can't get to Windows so that would be pointless. :) 
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:32:11 PM

hedwar2011 said:
You should be able to get into the BIOS and it will tell you for sure what model hdd it is. What is the make/model of your laptop and I'll try to locate some info on the BIOS for you?

I was gonna recommend using CPU-Z or Speccy but you can't get to Windows so that would be pointless. :) 

+1
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:34:53 PM

hedwar2011 said:

It is an Asus core i5 3210m
6g ram

i'm on bios but i don't see hdd type.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:36:49 PM

JammMusic said:
It is an Asus core i5 3210m
6g ram

i'm on bios but i don't see hdd type.

K, Do you have the actual model #? It may be on the bottom of the PC on a sticker or you might be able to see it on the main page of the BIOS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:42:28 PM

Hi :) 

Try turning OFF UEFI in the Bios...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:47:53 PM

i see a few numers on this sticker it may be Q500A-BHI5N01
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 6:49:08 PM

JammMusic said:
i see a few numers on this sticker it may be Q500A-BHI5N01

That should be it. Give me just a second to look it up....
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:02:53 PM

okay thanks so much for trying to help bud.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:05:58 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
+1

Brett928S2 said:

Try turning OFF UEFI in the Bios...

Hi brett. My boot option for the disc is [UEFI: MATSHITADVD-RAMUJ8B2]
So.. how do i turn that off? And that disc is the windows 7 disc.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:11:32 PM

JammMusic said:
Hi brett. My boot option for the disc is [UEFI: MATSHITADVD-RAMUJ8B2]
So.. how do i turn that off? And that disc is the windows 7 disc.

You will have to look at the bios options, both for the hard drive and DVD drive...

TURN OFF UEFI FOR BOTH!!!!

Its intended for 8 and totally screws up 7 loading (as you no doubt noticed lol)

m
l
December 28, 2012 7:13:40 PM

Windows 7 (if not the latest Service Pack) has an issue with Nvidia chipsets and will lockup at the start screen. Just an FYI if you have that. If you are trying to go to Windows 8 just use any Windows XP disk 32 bit and do a fresh install then install Windows 8 from that. Skip Win7. Windows 8 is awesome so far. I don't see any issues except the whining about the start bar. I don't need it. Everything is so simply why would you go back to doing 3-4 click when its down to 1.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:19:30 PM

dabeargrowls said:
Windows 7 (if not the latest Service Pack) has an issue with Nvidia chipsets and will lockup at the start screen. Just an FYI if you have that. If you are trying to go to Windows 8 just use any Windows XP disk 32 bit and do a fresh install then install Windows 8 from that. Skip Win7. Windows 8 is awesome so far. I don't see any issues except the whining about the start bar. I don't need it. Everything is so simply why would you go back to doing 3-4 click when its down to 1.

When answering a question for help, it helps if YOU READ THE WHOLE THREAD...

His software is NOT working in 8 which is why he sensibly wants (needs) to load 7....

Oh and as someone who owns shops and loads Windows EVERY day, you comment about 7 and Nvidia chip sets is total tosh...

m
l
December 28, 2012 7:22:21 PM

dabeargrowls said:

Um.. Just because you don't see any issues with it doesn't mean there are none. i said that it is not compatible with some of my plugins on fl studio and i can't wait for them to fix it because that may take months. And i just don't like it in general.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:25:04 PM

Well, check if its a Nvidia chipset. I had the same issue. It will install, get to the reboot and lock up when starting.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:28:48 PM

It's not.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:31:36 PM

Sorry...computer went wonky...imagine that..

Brett is right about UEFI being geared more towards Windows 8 and 7 not behaving well.

I was going to try to pull up the BIOS for your ocmputer and look at it but apparently someone at ASUS decided to code their entire site using Java and it SUCKS!

Now now Brett....new people have to learn too :-)
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:32:57 PM

Brett928S2 said:

You will have to look at the bios options, both for the hard drive and DVD drive...

TURN OFF UEFI FOR BOTH!!!!

Its intended for 8 and totally screws up 7 loading (as you no doubt noticed lol)

This computer came with windows 8 and has a UEFI motherboard.. I don't see an option to turn it off in the bios :/ 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:34:40 PM

Brett928S2 said:

When answering a question for help, it helps if YOU READ THE WHOLE THREAD...

His software is NOT working in 8 which is why he sensibly wants (needs) to load 7....

Oh and as someone who owns shops and loads Windows EVERY day, you comment about 7 and Nvidia chip sets is total tosh...

I'm in....brb

UPDATE:

So I was able to key in the make/model of your computer, it spun around a bit and then came back saying that documentation doesn't exist. I'm not really that surprised actually. You've got the right make/model its just their support has always been lacking.

I would definitely check to make sure that UEFI is completely off, don't need it, and try it again. If its a fairly new laptop, its safe to say the odds are fairly good that it has a SSD drive or has a SATA drive with a certain amount of space acting as a SSD cache drive.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:34:53 PM

Hmm... are you using a Win7 disk with the latest SP at least? usually when you do an install and it locks up right away its driver/chipset related. If you try safe mode and it does the same thing then you've loaded the basic of driver sets and can't do much else. Maybe AHCI vs IDE controller settings?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:38:54 PM

JammMusic said:
This computer came with windows 8 and has a UEFI motherboard.. I don't see an option to turn it off in the bios :/ 

In my shops we have done a fair few 8 to 7 downgrades (particularly on lappies) and on every one so far we have HAD to turn off UEFI...

So far (at least) there has always been an option to turn OFF or DISABLE UEFI... IN THE BIOS

This has nothing to do with your hard drive by the way, or formatting it etc... this is a BIOS/MOTHERBOARD problem...

Or at least I think so lol...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:43:38 PM

dabeargrowls said:
Hmm... are you using a Win7 disk with the latest SP at least? usually when you do an install and it locks up right away its driver/chipset related. If you try safe mode and it does the same thing then you've loaded the basic of driver sets and can't do much else. Maybe AHCI vs IDE controller settings?

Man I wish I could type and read at the same time.

@Brett, Sorry didn't see your post till just now.

@dabeargrowls: Have you read the thread from the beginning? If so, you would clearly see that he isn't able to get Windows 7 installed completely as of yet.

@JammMusic: I apologize but I have to part as I have to go to work now :)  I will check up on you guys when I get home tonight at around 10 pm CT.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:46:25 PM

Brett928S2 said:

In my shops we have done a fair few 8 to 7 downgrades (particularly on lappies) and on every one so far we have HAD to turn off UEFI...

So far (at least) there has always been an option to turn OFF or DISABLE UEFI... IN THE BIOS

This has nothing to do with your hard drive by the way, or formatting it etc... this is a BIOS/MOTHERBOARD problem...

Or at least I think so lol...

Wait a second. does UEFI have any relation to secure boot control? because i had to disable secure boot control because if i didnt it would say that there was no digital signature.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:48:12 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Man I wish I could type and read at the same time.

@Brett, Sorry didn't see your post till just now.

@dabeargrowls: Have you read the thread from the beginning? If so, you would clearly see that he isn't able to get Windows 7 installed completely as of yet.

@JammMusic: I apologize but I have to part as I have to go to work now :)  I will check up on you guys when I get home tonight at around 10 pm CT.

Alrighty thanks for helping.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 7:50:18 PM

JammMusic said:
Wait a second. does UEFI have any relation to secure boot control? because i had to disable secure boot control because if i didnt it would say that there was no digital signature.

Hmmm, yes sort of, if you hadn't disabled secure boot it looks for a sort of digital key for drivers etc...

But you should still be able to turn OFF ...UEFI...

m
l
December 28, 2012 8:00:53 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Hmmm, yes sort of, if you hadn't disabled secure boot it looks for a sort of digital key for drivers etc...

But you should still be able to turn OFF ...UEFI...

Well i havnt tried running the setup while in windows 8 again since i did i complete reset to factory settings.. But i just tried it and selected downgrade and it seems to be working :D .... i'll tell yall how it goes.!
m
l
December 28, 2012 8:09:40 PM

It froze on the damn starting screen again... Ok if i could just find this UEFI... is it called that in this bios or is that just what people call it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 8:54:29 PM

JammMusic said:
It froze on the damn starting screen again... Ok if i could just find this UEFI... is it called that in this bios or is that just what people call it.

Its called that .. UEFI...Look everywhere in the bios for it, particularly near the hard drive and boot settings...

m
l
December 28, 2012 9:01:50 PM

I have an ASUS N56-DP Laptop and I have the EXACT problem. I cannot turn off the UEFI option, there is no such option, I have deleted everything on the drive, and still Windows 7 would hang at the Starting Windows Screen, I love the laptop, but the clean install and the install within Windows is such a frustration, please help, Thank you.
m
l
December 28, 2012 9:09:25 PM

ginamarat said:
I have an ASUS N56-DP Laptop and I have the EXACT problem. I cannot turn off the UEFI option, there is no such option, I have deleted everything on the drive, and still Windows 7 would hang at the Starting Windows Screen, I love the laptop, but the clean install and the install within Windows is such a frustration, please help, Thank you.

Yeah mine doesn't have the option to disable either..
m
l
December 28, 2012 9:10:41 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Its called that .. UEFI...Look everywhere in the bios for it, particularly near the hard drive and boot settings...

It's not there.. Not every computer has the option in the bios you have to do it some other way.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 9:13:31 PM

JammMusic said:
It's not there.. Not every computer has the option in the bios you have to do it some other way.

Every one we have seen in my shops so far has it...

That doesn't mean yours has of course....

Hmmm... have you tried RESETTING DEFAULTS in the Bios ?

m
l
December 28, 2012 9:27:15 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Every one we have seen in my shops so far has it...

That doesn't mean yours has of course....

Hmmm... have you tried RESETTING DEFAULTS in the Bios ?

I have tried everything, and I mean, everything. And still Windows 7 just hangs on the Starting Windows screen. I don't know what there is left to do.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 9:40:30 PM

The most common reason that a Windows install hangs at the starting Windows screen is problem memory. You should run memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory.
m
l
December 28, 2012 10:22:03 PM

pjmelect said:
The most common reason that a Windows install hangs at the starting Windows screen is problem memory. You should run memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory.

This computer is brand new and it works fine other than trying to install w7 on it.. Don't think that is a problem.
m
l
December 28, 2012 10:25:15 PM

ginamarat said:

If you find a fix don't leave me hanging lol. i'll do the same for you if i find one.
m
l
December 28, 2012 10:29:09 PM

JammMusic said:
If you find a fix don't leave me hanging lol. i'll do the same for you if i find one.

I will keep you updated JammMusic
m
l
!