Bios upgrade advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, you don't.
However there are some circumstances that might require it.
You want to upgrade to a new processor that has came out recently, and your current BIOS does not support it, but there is a new revision available for download that does. This is the probably the #1 reason people need a BIOS update. Another reason is perhaps your motherboard was a first revision, and there were some problems or glitches found when trying to use certain hardware with it, and the company corrected it with a later BIOS revision.

However, the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is very good advice when talking about your BIOS. If you are having no problems, there is nothing, absolutely nothing an update (and it is an "update", not an "upgrade") will do for you. Many times, people update their BIOS for no reason other than there is a new one out, only to find out the new revision is causing them problems. There is also the possibility that when you do the update, something goes wrong. If you mess up here, it can leave you with a dead motherboard, and there is nothing you can do to fix it. You have to send it back the manufacture to have a new BIOS flashed, or if your BIOS chip is removable, you can call the company and have them send you a new one.

NicRic

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008

Since I had to perform a fresh re-install of my O/S ,at bootup I recieve two beeps and then a page that says SATA1,2&3 not detected press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup . Now my H.D. is located on SATA 0 so its ok and after I press F1 my PC boots up and everything seems to be working just fine . The H.D. is set to ACHI /ATA Auto Detect , I was told to set the BIOS to combination, however whn I chose combination I recieve another prompt saying this setting may cause me to lose the ability to revert back to the ACHI setting. My BIOS ver is A05 and there is a newer version out verA07 , however except for the inconvience of pressing F1 my PC is working well. I have no H.D.'s in SATA 1,2 or 3 my SATA 0 H.D. is a Samsung 250G.B. SMART Drive 7200rpm and I have a 320G.B. externial USB H.D. My PC is a Dell XPS400 2.8GHz Dual Core Pentium D 3G.B.'s DDR2 RAM WindowsXP MCE2005 !
Thank You , Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.