I need a way to observe the interior of my home remotely and can use my Netboiok (w/ built-in webcam). How do I view this webcam from any other place, like from work ? I was thinking of Skype but can't initialise the connection remotely. Any ideas....... ?
1) Get a remote login set up using a logmein type service
2) Use software such as gotocamera
Both of the above require you to leave your computer on all the time. Or go for option 3...
3) Get an IP camera which once set up can be accessed stand alone (i.e. it doesn't connect to a computer) and you can access it remotely from any web browser or a computer or smartphone. My personal recommendation is to get one from eyespy247.com as they are dead easy to set up but there are loads of others out there.
(1) is probably overkill for what you want to do... those service are designed for complete remote access.
(2) gotocamera would do the trick... another service is www.camcloud.com... they have a free plan and support webcams with motion detection, live streaming, etc. I happen to use them but there are others.
(3) IP camera is awesome, but higher upfront cost of course. Lots of options here as well, and fishface has recommended a good one.
Before I go and try these services, does anyone have experience from gotocamera.com or camcloud.com? Just trying to get a sense of some of the differences. From what I understand both are free, which is the first main criteria