Sign in with
Your question

Althon 64 FX-57

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
October 30, 2005 1:08:13 AM

I want this CPU. I just don't know what braod to get! So much to choose from. This system will mainly be used for gaming! I also have a couple of questions to ask:

1. Does XP Pro support this and do I need to do anything when I install it?

2. What mobo to get for this?

3. When I hear dual I figure (2) CPU's? AM I right? Dont really understand this. I cant get an AMD cheaper then Intel. And plaus they run cooler.

Looking for something that will last and can upgrade later down the road. If you need to know the other compoents jsut let me know and I will post.

Thanks

Just like to have fun..

More about : althon

October 30, 2005 1:29:40 AM

1. Yes, Windows XP Pro supports it fine, as well as any other AMD or Intel chip.
2. Depends on graphics card. Do you already have one? If you are considering the FX-57 you probably aren't concerned for cash. Getting a 7800GT would be good. You could get two of them for SLI as well. I would recommend a DFI either Infinity or Lanparty series board.
3. Dual cores are two CPU's built into one chip. Getting a dual core X2 would probably be a better value than an FX-57.

To give good suggestions, we really need to know what parts you already have, and what your budget is.
October 30, 2005 1:46:37 AM

I'm really going to rebuild a new system. As money goes I got $3000.00 give or take. More on the money side if I need it.

Case
Lian Li V COOL PC-V1000B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CPU
Althon 64 FX-57

Mobo
Have no clue! (want something that I can upgrade down the road!)

Hard Drive
I wanted Raptor 10000rpm but I hear it's not worth the money. Thats more on the server side use.

Video Card
Have a 9800 pro now. I want something new that can run BF2 and Planetside.

RAM
Want 2 gigs of RAM. Good ram. Know nothing about tweaking RAm or testing it to see if bad.

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 70SB035000003 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Power Supply
I want something with lots of power to run what I get and then some. If I need it down the raod!

Cooling
Now I don't know enough about water cooling so I will stick with the fans. But I want to add fans and possiable a fan control. Want good fans nothing cheap.

I'm a big time gamer and like for my stuff to run good. Not into overclocking! I've never built my own PC but, know enough I think I can do it with a little help.

Anything else you need just let me know.

Thanks

Just like to have fun..
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2005 1:56:58 AM

What monitor? At what res are you gaming?

1. You'd be better off with the FX57 than the dual core unless you do a LOT of other stuff while you're gaming.
2. With your budget I'd definitely throw in a Raptor as a primary HDD and then a good 300GB, 16MB cache HDD for storage. The Raptor is on sale right now at Newegg for $146 anyway...
3. Video card = 7800GTX or 1800XT. If you're gaming at high res with all of the eye candy, then you should consider SLI or Crossfire. Until you make that decision about vid cards we can't give you good advice on a mobo.
4. PSU: Go Quality on your budget - <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Seasonic 600W</A>.
5. Panaflo is always a good option for fans. Balance cooling with noise...Go with 120mm, but make sure that you're case accepts them.
6. Some good RAM <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682..." target="_new">Patriot 2x1GB PC3200 Platinum</A>. If you're not OCing, then you don't need anything more than this.

When are you going to do this build?

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2005 2:03:41 AM

Quote:
Same goes for PSU. *awaits Rugger*

:tongue: Beat you to the punch!

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2005 2:14:26 AM

and I've even got a big blood blister on my left middle finger from installing flooring today.

*note to self - move finger when it is in the way of the hammer*

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 30, 2005 4:49:12 AM

Rugger is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2005 11:48:16 AM

About my note to self? :wink:

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2005 1:21:13 PM

i'd suggest the OCZ modstream series (or anything else that have this feature), the one where you can chose which output you want via special cables, you can't beleive how much unused space power connrectors and wires comping out of the PSU takes.....

AMD A64 3200+Venice @2.65GHZ
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 2-2-2-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 6/23
Windows XP SP2
October 30, 2005 2:04:14 PM

Thanks guys! I still think I want the FX-57 cpu. Can't find the mobo on the net ur talking about. So if you could please post a link for me would be great. Thanks

Just like to have fun..
October 30, 2005 3:30:35 PM

if money is no issue then go with x2 4800+ and like 2GB Corsair 7800GTX... you'll have one killer setup.... asus a8n SLI premium seems to be a good choiced board.

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2005 6:36:18 PM

Lancer was talking about a PSU.

Agree with Wusy on 9NPA+ SLI or the Abit AN8 SLI.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 30, 2005 9:27:07 PM

Hey wusy Are you saying that the asus a8n SLI premium is a bad board? just cause of price?

October 30, 2005 11:20:31 PM

Well now I have only $2000.00 to spend that my wife found out about me building a new PC! L0L!! Thats all part of bening married and also I'm going to be a DADDY!!!!! So I just want something good that will last for like 3 years. But I know that wont happen in this world. A PC is like a car when u buy it. There's a better won as soon as you drive it of the lot.

Thanks Again

Just like to have fun..
October 30, 2005 11:27:21 PM

Wusy is a cheap skate. He recommended that I save a penny by not buying at iTunes but buy at some other place instead for 98 cents a song.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny
October 31, 2005 12:04:26 AM

Well here is what I'm thinking off getting! So Tell me what yall think!!

Case
Lian Li V COOL PC-V1000B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU
Althon 64 x2 4800+

Mobo
ABIT AN8 SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Video Card
PNY VCG7800XXWB Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 70SB035000003 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Power Supply
SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240V UL, CE, CB, FCC

Monitor
I have a 19" LCD Viewsonic VA720 (Not sure if that any good for gaming...)

I think that would be a good gaming system!! What yall think?

Just like to have fun..
October 31, 2005 12:33:24 AM

Quote:
In fact I'll add ASUS A8N-SLI Premium on my recommendation list

**faints**

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
October 31, 2005 12:41:51 AM

ASUS all the way! yay

a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 12:52:41 AM

Get the <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/201tblk.html" target="_new">Super-Flower SF-201T</A> case and use the money you save (~$130) to get a good 250-300GB HDD for storage. What's your total so far?

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 1:13:05 AM

Ive seen some suggestions on a PSU but as usual it seems to have taken a back seat in this conversation. In any system but especially one that will be as nice as the one your building, the PSU will make or BREAK your system. It is one of if not the most critical component that makes up a computer. IMO there are many more low quality PSUs on the market than high quality. At this point I would first determine which PSU to purchase and then build my system around it.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8..." target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 1:21:21 AM

<pre>Did you look at the PSU that he has listed? I recommended it earlier - maybe in another thread.</pre><p>
*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 2:04:14 AM

If this is purely a gaming rig, I'd recommend a good single core CPU over the any dual-core. So that would probably mean an FX line processor if you have the budget for the 4800+.

Next is you over-clock considerations. If you don't want to overclock, then you're fine with what you're getting. If you do want to over-clock things slightly, and save a little money to, then I'd say go with the 4400+ X2, or a similar single-core CPU (other's hear can give good recomendations). With the 4400, a modest OC from a standard 200MHz bus to 220MHz will bring the 4400 to the same clockspeed as the 4800, and you'll have spent half as much. And with that case, cooling should be a problem, and the RAM should handle it as well. That'll leave you some budget to get a second, larger HDD in there, or 80% of the way to a second 7800GTX.

Speaking of your vid-card, I'd recommend BFG or eVGA over PNY. BFG comes factory overclocked for slightly better performance, and both BFG and eVGA offer better warranties than PNY (I'm pretty sure lifetime, compared to 1 or 3 years for PNY).

Lastly, you're getting a 7800GTX card. This means that you should want to run your games at 1600x1200 resolution. Try to find a monitor that does that (CRT is actually your best bet here, as I don't think you'll find a fast enough UXGA LCD so ghosting won't be a problem, especially within a reasonable price).

My $0.02
October 31, 2005 9:53:54 AM

Well with the specs I posted last night I'm at $2352.00 with no monitor. I posted a PSU that I want. Is that one not good enough? I posted the monitor I have (ViewSonic VA720) So I don't think I can use that one. Also what do u look for when buy a monitor besides response time?

Thanks

Just like to have fun..
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 10:14:42 AM

That's what I figured - no problemo. You KNOW I'm not going to leave the PSU out!

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 10:31:27 AM

Best way to trim down those costs some:
1. Get a single core 3700+ or an X2 3800+. The 3700+ saves $557 and the X2 3800+ saves $462
2. Go with the SF201T that I linked - Great case at a great Price. Saves $135
3. Use onboard sound - unless you're an audiophile, you won't know the difference. Modern onboard sound is really good. $176 saved. Or go with the Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition and save $50.

There is PLENTY of room to cut prices some without sacrificing a lot of performance. We're big on price/perf here at THGC. If you want to laydown $3k on a system we can send you that direction, but we can also put together a great gaming system for around $1K.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 12:03:03 PM

Well let me throw this at you. Whats faster AMD 2.4 or an Intel 2.4? I look at all these cpu's and say is 2.4 fast enough?

Do this for me please if you don't mind! Say I gave you $2000.00 to build me a PC. Everything but mouse and keybroad. I would like to see what you come up with. I think I'm going in the right direction but, won't to make sure that I am.

Thanks

Just like to have fun..
October 31, 2005 12:45:31 PM

If you want a top notch bang up quality professional case with flash and bling bling for cheap, <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/tt461.html" target="_new"> check this out! $49 </A>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 1:10:19 PM

I'll work that as soon as I get a chance...have to do some "real" work right now.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 1:11:42 PM

if you are overclocking then get the 4000+ or to save a lttile money if you dont need the top cpu get the 4000+ the performance is almost the same.If you want the best cpu go for the fx-57.I wouldnt recomend 2 gigs of ram only 1 gig of matched memory corsair,ocz are prolly the top two there are many others that make good memory but with these two you cant go wrong now remember you need memory with the fastest timmings for your amd intel uses the highbandwith amd uses speed check the benchies here at toms on memory for socket 939 which is the type of mobo you need for your amd for your video card i would reccomend the x850 xt from ati or the 7800gtx from nvidia or you could go with 2 video cards very expensive though. ati has an x1800xt but im not sure if it is available yet if so i would get that for a few reasons first ati in my opinion has better graphics options for a better picture like 16x and 6 or 8x aa and af filtering ive had a few nvidia cards and ati cards both are almost identical buti think ati has a slight edge in picture quality.also nvidia is the big bad wolf many dirty tricks and tactics and they are the big dog which means we as consumers wanna do our part to help the competition so that we get better products and lower prices not to mention ati has kicked the big dogs butt the last few years in the graphics market. as far as dual cpus ive read a few articles and basically what i found out is software is not written for 2 cpus so having dual cpu is pretty much useless for most people now that being said if you do anything that requires major processing the the dual processors will help you like having open tons of programs at the same time or professional work then dual cpus can help. but keep in mind the fastest dual processor right now is slower at games than the single core fx57 i would wait to get a dual core system i just cant justify buying 2 videocards and not getting double performance or 2 cpus and not getting twice the processing power they have a lot of work to do in my opinon if they want to charge us for two of everything in a computer to increase speeds than they better make it so i get the full performance d@mnit!.you shuldnt worry about buying something now that will be upgradeable later cause it more than likely wont be upgradeable or you wouldnt want to upgrade your current stuff but buy a whole new technology anyways dont buy into this future stuff cause in the future yuo wont be able to use that stuff anyway its all a sales deception and never buy something on preorder you could be waiting for months to a year or longer if it aint ready hold on to your money its incentive for them and youre not out money when youre hands are emptyplus they are getting bad with all these paper releases.you can use any xp type o.s. with any new cpu pretty much and you could buy a thermaltake case which comes with fan control and 7 fans,alarm etc. for power i reccomend turbo cool,antec true power,ocz,and theres a few others get like a 550 or something just make sure its a cheap power supplt thats important all the new hardware is power hungry and make sure the p.s. istruly what it gives many power supplies burn up and dont perform as advertised so make a good choice there.I would also tell you that you most definately should get a raptor1000 rpm harddrive it wil make a hugh difference because it finds data in 4.5 ms vs10 or higher with other drives its smoking fast whoever told you that was very wrong.the 74gig is faster than the smaller version when you are in a game and your cpu needs info that isnt in your ram it has to search your harddrive so you need speed every fraction of a second counts! since you are buying a new soundcard the new creative x-fi is a must buy buy your parts from newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com they are the best sites on the web.also flat screens are absolutely not good for gamming even the new gamming ones theres still lag crts are best for gamming just so you know

athlon 64/msik8n neo2 plat/corsair twinx1024-3200/
thermalright120mm heatsink,fan/wd 74gig raptor and 250gig/audigy2/logitechz-5500,mx1000laserwkeyboard
22inch mitsubishi mon
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 1:17:57 PM

Ever heard of punctuation?

There's some good info in this, but there's bad info too. Hint: When trying to help someone you should clearly, succinctly communicate your message.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 2:15:16 PM

Quote:
Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

You'll be happier with a larger, 16MB cache drive. They pretty much negate the performance edge the Raptors once had and you won't have to worry about running out of space.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
October 31, 2005 4:01:21 PM

The 64 x2 4800+ is a waste of money with the 7800GTX.
October 31, 2005 4:04:50 PM

NewEgg had a good deal on price of the VX924 last week.
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 4:07:40 PM

All prices will include shipping and any applicable rebates.
1. <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/directron/201tblk.html" target="_new">Super-Flower SF-201T</A> for $72
2. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Seasonic S12 600W</A> for $150.99
3. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Abit AN8 SLI</A> for $138.50
4. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">A64 4000+</A> for $334
5. RAM: <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682..." target="_new">OCZ Performance series</A> 2x1GB for $225.26
6. GPU: <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">eVGA 7800GTX</A> for $464.99.
7. Soundcard: <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/70sb046000007.html" target="_new">Audigy X-FI</A> for $122.50
8. HDD: <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682..." target="_new">Maxtor Maxline III</A> for $126.48
9. Monitor: Keep your current monitor. If you find that the games don't look good enough, then sell it and get the VP930b ($419.99) or the VX924 ($364.49).
10. OS: Windows XP Pro for $134.95. If you already have XP home, then save this money.
Total: $1769.67

That is $230.33 under budget. If you want to get the monitor and stay under budget you can tweak this some by:
1. Going down to a 3700+ for $100 savings
2. Not buying XP Pro for $135 savings
3. Using onboard sound for $126 savings.
Any one of those three will get you close to $2000 with the VX924 added.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 4:13:02 PM

Has he looked at the Dell 24'' widescreen?
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 4:19:42 PM

I haven't seen it mentioned - got a clicky?

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 4:32:12 PM

To lazy. Dell.com
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 4:46:41 PM

LOL - That's just wrong!

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
October 31, 2005 9:15:20 PM

I'm well aware that higher platter density increases performance... but the cache does help too...

:tongue:

Personally, I'd love Hitachi's new 500GB drive... very high density plus the aforementioned 16MB cache.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
October 31, 2005 11:07:37 PM

case: looks good

cpu: DON'T GET DUAL CORE!! if your gaming, your money is better spent on a fx-57 w/ higher clock speeds. i'm pretty sure you won't be encoding a dvd movie while you are pwning nubs

mobo: looks good.. since ur not OCing

RAM: looks good

HD: you might want to add 1 or 2 250gb storage drives

gfx card: looks good

sound: you might want to look into creative's x-fi xtreme music. its only 20-30 dollars more expensive than the audigy2 and it gives you much better overall sound quality

powersupply: i'm a big fan of seasonic... i should hug you for this

@ the asus lover

ROFLMAO

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>
October 31, 2005 11:50:14 PM

So, no one answered my question. Whats faster AMD 2.4 or the Intel 2.4?

So on the ram part I do I figure what what ram is running at? I would say in the BIOS? Also do you have to run a buch of test to make sure your ram can do that speed?

The video card that you menitioned the evga 7800gtx. Is that over clocked?

Just like to have fun..
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2005 11:55:27 PM

With his $2k budget, the 2405 is a little bit much at $1K.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2005 1:29:29 AM

IIRC, the nVidia spec calls for a core clock speed of 430. The eVGA is at 450, so you could say that it is OCd.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
November 1, 2005 5:32:44 AM

Dont make the mistake of thinking that speed of the CPU in MHZs is the same for both AMD and INTEL. AMD is faster even though the Mhzs are lower.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8..." target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs
November 1, 2005 12:05:09 PM

Thanks guys! I think I got my big check today!!! So I will be ordering my stuff real soon. I will post my final specs to see what yall think.

On the mobo. Will it last me a while and also will I be able to upgrade my CPU in the future with no problem?

Just like to have fun..
November 1, 2005 7:23:31 PM

Here it is guys! This is what I think I'm going to get. Going to order it tonight!!!!!

Case
Super-Flower Computer Case - Black SF-201T Aluminum Mid-tower Cases, w/ Top LED Fan & 3 Windows

PSU
SeaSonic S12-600 600W Power Supply

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor

Mobo
ABIT AN8 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram
OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Video
eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256-P2-N525-AX Video Card

Sound
SounCreative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum

HD
Maxtor MaXLine III 300GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Well there it is! I hope I picked it out right. A noob when it comes to buying the right stuff for the application. As you can see I picked alot of what people told me to. I thought yall would know. Hope I not getting screwed.. Thanks and let me know what yall think!!

P.S Do I need to buying anything else to put this monster together? Also should I buy some heatsinks for my RAM? (I was just looking at the ram and it seems to me it already got it!!!)PLEASE POST STICKY IF SO!!!

Thanks Gimpy

Just like to have fun..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gimpy on 11/01/05 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2005 8:16:35 PM

Awesome rig! I see you decided to splurge for the Audigy 2 ZS Plat instead of the X-Fi. Heatsinks are only for bling-bling - no performance gain from them. They may actually cause the module to heat up more due to reduced airflow directly on the chips.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!