wireless networking Windows XP Home and XP Pro

Using a Microsoft access point, I have a Windows98 system
sharing a cable internet connection with a Windows XP Home
system that is connected by cable to the router and access
point. I am unable to add a third computer using Windows XP
Pro to this lash-up. The network is protected by WEP, which
on the W98 and XP Home machines uses a string of 10 numeric
characters to generate a 64-bit encryption key. The
on-board software on Windows XP Pro will not accept the
same string. Instead it asks for a 5-character ASCII string
or a 13-Hex-character string to generate, respectively, a
40- or a 106-character encryption key. How can I get around
this WEP encryption incompatibility between XP Home and XP
Pro so that the broadband internet connection is available
to networked computers singly at all times (that is, so
that the cabled computer does not have to be powered up)?

joker

This sounds like a Windows issue to me. It might also be a limitation
of the XP home wireless network card drivers.

You might try installing SP2. Other then that I'm not sure.

You should always post what products you are using. This means the
router, Router in bridge mode (the MN-500 or MN-700), & the wireless
cards you are using.

Phil Martin wrote:

> Using a Microsoft access point, I have a Windows98 system
> sharing a cable internet connection with a Windows XP Home
> system that is connected by cable to the router and access
> point. I am unable to add a third computer using Windows XP
> Pro to this lash-up. The network is protected by WEP, which
> on the W98 and XP Home machines uses a string of 10 numeric
> characters to generate a 64-bit encryption key. The
> on-board software on Windows XP Pro will not accept the
> same string. Instead it asks for a 5-character ASCII string
> or a 13-Hex-character string to generate, respectively, a
> 40- or a 106-character encryption key. How can I get around
> this WEP encryption incompatibility between XP Home and XP
> Pro so that the broadband internet connection is available
> to networked computers singly at all times (that is, so
> that the cabled computer does not have to be powered up)?

assistance.

time.