Playfield Routering by Hand Plunge Router

Still looking for flush laminate router bit, 1/4" shank X 3/16" with
roller guide. This is the size of the Gottlieb lane switch, also needed
to do the arrows. So far smallest I have found has 3/8" roller, which
allowed very good copying of GI, Flipper, Target, & other routering of
playfield. This project is crawling ahead because of my many learning
mistakes, trying to do by hand, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Still looking for anyone with cnc machine & probe, for this or future
projects, since it seems none available in East Coast Canada.

Does this have a bearing guide? I tried a smaller router bit for arrows
& it wasn't good. I am going to try one of those cutout tools from Home
Depot at end of week. Greg Walker is trying to give some insight from
his Fathom Playfield, but it isn't sinking in, he was able to make very
clean arrows, but then again he used a carpenter.

Well, I have just got my playfield routered for £45 ($80 ish) just
search online for cnc routing services. Supply them a .dxf (autocad
drawing) and away they go. Shouldn't be too hard.
I would offer to do this but I am in UK.

greatwichjohn@hotmail.com wrote:
> Still looking for flush laminate router bit, 1/4" shank X 3/16" with
> roller guide. This is the size of the Gottlieb lane switch, also needed
> to do the arrows. So far smallest I have found has 3/8" roller, which
> allowed very good copying of GI, Flipper, Target, & other routering of
> playfield. This project is crawling ahead because of my many learning
> mistakes, trying to do by hand, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Still looking for anyone with cnc machine & probe, for this or future
> projects, since it seems none available in East Coast Canada.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Already offered you CNC services and you turned it down because of shipping
costs. You are going to run into the same elsewhere, so seems a moot point
to keep asking!

Chris

<greatwichjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Still looking for flush laminate router bit, 1/4" shank X 3/16" with
> roller guide. This is the size of the Gottlieb lane switch, also needed
> to do the arrows. So far smallest I have found has 3/8" roller, which
> allowed very good copying of GI, Flipper, Target, & other routering of
> playfield. This project is crawling ahead because of my many learning
> mistakes, trying to do by hand, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Still looking for anyone with cnc machine & probe, for this or future
> projects, since it seems none available in East Coast Canada.

I have no idea .dxf(autocad drawing)? is this like supplying all info
of xyz, etc.
The offer still stands at $100 US each to produce 5 Devil Dare plywood
playfields. All the routering, plywood, & shipped to Halifax. If not I
will continue to peg away at it myself, & unfortunately I will not take
the time to do all the leg work. So if you have access to cnc, & a
Devil's Dare playfield, can do for this price let me know.

I have made my own proto playfield using routers and forstner bits for
design. (It was for my own design, not a copy of a pre-existing game).
It's a LOOOOONGGG process, and you're bound to make mistakes, alright.

Fortuntely, you guys are lucky enough to know CAD, and how to apply it
to a CNC machine. I had to take an 8.5" x 11" drawing, and convert it
to a full playfield size by eye...Talk about aggravating!

-Joel

Mike Purcell has offered the use of cnc machine as a personal favour in
the future for a project. I would rather try to do routering myself by
hand if at all possible. So the above offer still stands if someone can
do. Thanks John

You need to make templates if you're going to do this by hand. Having
done 3 custom playfields (1 trashed before I built templates), I can
tell you that the only way you're going to get repeatable and
consistant insert and guide plunge cuts without having cnc equipment
is to have a set of stock templates. So, any cut that requires
multiple passes or sizes is done by positioning the template once, and
then changing bits and running it again. It makes pop bumpers,
especially, a breeze.

You *could* make your custom bit with the shoulder you need, so that
you only have to make a single plunge cut and cut it all in one pass.
If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure there is a local tool and die
maker who could make you one quite inexpensively.

Craig