Now, Dell is not doing good ...

pat

Expert
According this <A HREF="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051101_088420.htm" target="_new">article</A>, Dell fails to meet its projected sales. After Intel loosing to AMD in desktop segment, sticking with Intel for Dell means that they loose lot of sale because of customers wanting to try AMD. Just like business that want Opteron. Putting all of its egg into one basket for Dell could have been one of its mistake. I don't know. If I was going to run a business, I would run it according what custommer wants, and not what my parts providers want. I would try to get the best deals according to what my customer want and be open to what they want. Now, the deal thay had with buying only Intel may start tost them money.

(\__/)
(=<b>˚</b>.'=)That was my bunny..terminator!!! Now terminated...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think AMD had much (if anything) to do with it. I think what did have a major impact is that Dell's quality has dropped like a rock lately, their service sucks eggs, they've even dropped forums to hide the fact, and in general Dell sucks.<pre><font color=orange> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=orange> - Cedrik says by that SP means Dell sucks even <i>more</i> than<font color=orange>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=orange>   usual lately. Dell has always sucked.</pre><p>
:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
The <b><font color=red>Devil</font color=red></b> is in my <b><font color=red>'98 Mercury Sable</font color=red></b>!
<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
i'm not sure what ya mean about their service sucking balls

we've got dell poweredge servers here in work... and anytime something happens, a technition is out within hours to fix it.

i will agree that the quality of the machines is balls

we have an identical IBM server as the DELL, and the IBM is at least twice the speed

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
In this setting I'm almost positive "customer service" refers to their <i>home</i> user customer service. Apparently in the enterprise arena they still value their customers (somewhat). I think around 99 or 2000 they started going down hill. By then there wasn't much to challenge them.

Oh you touch my Tralala

pat

Expert
I'm not saying that it is all AMD fault, but by cutting revenue sources by preventing customers to get what they want don't help ...

(\__/)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not saying that it is all AMD fault, but by cutting revenue sources by preventing customers to get what they want don't help ...
Meh. I doubt many (any?) actual Dell customers (SOHO at least) even <i>know</i> what AMD is. The lack of an AMD option at Dell hardly matters to anyone I've ever talked to, other than being a point of humor/anger. I don't know of anyone that would actually buy one, if such a machine existed.

Oh, certainly, there is someone out there pining to buy a Dell AMD box. The size of that segment might almost even be large enough to calculate.

The <b><font color=red>Devil</font color=red></b> is in my <b><font color=red>'98 Mercury Sable</font color=red></b>!
<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In this setting I'm almost positive "customer service" refers to their home user customer service.
Yeppers. I'm only talking about SOHO, as any company would be suicidal to do that to their business segment. :O But still, lots of pissed customers, lots of bad press, etc.

<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i'm not sure what ya mean about their service sucking balls
SOHO and small business service has been almost completely destroyed at Dell. I bet if you googled for Dell service, you'd come up with some really scary stuff. :O

i will agree that the quality of the machines is balls
I wonder if anyone can even disagree with that. **ROFL** We've got a few new Dell boxes and a bunch of refirbs at work and they're all flaky pieces of excrement from what I've seen. Bad PSUs, bad CD drives, bad RAM, etc. And freaking hell, opening some of those cases is like walking into a weird sci-fi movie with bad props. Maybe they're good for quick assembly, but they suck for maintanance.

Personally, I'll <i>never</i> buy a Dell. I'd even take another shot at an eMachines before I try Dell! :O

(Err ... not that I'm likely to need to, since I build my own PCs most of the time.)

<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

pat

Expert
I was thinking more about server market with opteron. Desktop market could bring some, but server market, with their big $ could really hurts.

(\__/)

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Putting all of its egg into one basket for Dell could have been one of its mistake. I don't know.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Or to put it another way, I think you are correct.

Here's why- It's taught in advanced Business strategy-type classes that the definition of a "competitor" is NOT limited merely to those who make or sell like/competing products.

Rather, one of the most dangerous types of competitor is a large/powerful supplier or purchaser. Thus Dell has gone contrary to sound strategic concerns in its arrangement with Intel. No doubt a calculated risk; one which may have paid in the past. But ultimately you can't beat the odds forever; it will come around to bite them in the arse one day. I have seen it happen many times in the "real world".

Perhaps we're seeing the begining of that now?

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I was thinking more about server market with opteron. Desktop market could bring some, but server market, with their big $ could really hurts.
It could, but I'm wondering how much of Dell's $$$ came from servers in the first place.

<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

pat

Expert
I have no idea, but I guess that since there is not that much important players in the server field compared to desktop, it could hurt a bit

(\__/)

knownalien

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
well, let me see. I bought their lastest network printer. it was a POS. even installed on my machine like a regular NON-network printer it would print the job and two waste pieces of paper with wierd font crap. But that isn't what go to me. When I tried to install it in a network setting (it has a network adapter in it) I could not install it. But WORSE was that the tech support could do no better than read the manual back to me. Not a single one of them could help. The very next day I RMA'd it back, but not without some used car salesmen customer service guy trying to make me feel like a king that they were accepting this printer back at only a 10% restocking fee . . . for a broken printer. I ended up setting up a wireless print server and bought an HP LaserJet 1320. works beautifully.

I also generally don't like the gaga googoo approach to how they assemlbe hardware meaning they purposefully make sure you don't go looking too deep inside what they build or you void the warranties by tearing some piece of tape that says "do not remove."
As for tech support akin to the support they offer business customers? You get it, but you have to pay for it when you buy the computer. Those guys probably know their stuff better, but the hum jum donkey dicks I speak to never know more than what my manual says. and their accents get real old too after a while.

K8T NeoFIS2R
Athlon 64bit 3400
2X1024 OCZ DDR400
Maxtor 40, 120
Western Digital Raptor 74 Gig
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
NEC LCD Monitor 1760NX
Antec Tru Power 550
Windows XP

endyen

Splendid
but I'm wondering how much of Dell's $$$ came from servers in the first place
I dont know about the $ either but servers must be important to Dell, or we wouldn't be seeing <A HREF="http://www.theregister.com/2005/11/03/dell_sells_ibm/" target="_new">this sort of thing</A>

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
The only reason Dell gets pegged for having bad support is because of people's ignorance. People call in everyday who have bottom of the barrel, $299 PC of the week specials which are over a year old, past their hardware warrenty, and are no longer under the responcibility of Dell who demand free support because they've accident uninstalled vital windows components and downloaded virus's and are wondering why their computer is slow or unusable. After we refuse them service....the old human nature kicks in and they tell everyone how dissatisfied with Dell's service even though they are the source of their own computer problems.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

endyen

Splendid
Are you talking to me?
Wait, are you saying that you are a Dell service rep?
That would be too funny, a genuine Amd fanbois like you, being a Dell service rep.
Actually most of the complaints I've seen, have been from people who could probably fix the problems, but cant, because of warranty issues.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Ye I work @ dell. And I make fun of Intel's real shortfalls and spread word of their business tactics @ work on a daily basis. I'm Dell Helpdesk which is a pay-per-use service like geek squad.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I dont know about the $ either but servers must be important to Dell, or we wouldn't be seeing this sort of thing
Umm ... maybe you should actually <i>read</i> that article. It has nothing to do with Dell actually selling IBM kit at all. What the article you linked talked about, was an Intel spokesman, speaking at a Dell conference, blathered on about an IBM kit using Intel chips. In other words, Intel was pushing an IBM box at a Dell conference. :O Talk about a major faux pas! **LOL** But while entertaining, it has nothing to do with Dell being so worried about servers as to punt PowerPC-based kit as the title suggests.

<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Holy leaping lizzards, k8man! Talk about rosy colored glasses and opinionated viewpoints! **ROFL** Maybe as a Dell tech support dude you like to think you're all that, meybe even <i>you</i> specifically are, but as a Dell customer, I've got to say, you seem to have no freaking clue how stupid some of your coworkers are.

The only reason Dell gets pegged for having bad support is because of people's ignorance.
I don't think that I've laughed this hard in a while. All that I can say is <b>DUH!</b> 99% (if not more) of the time, were the customer <i>not</i> ignorant, then they wouldn't <i>need</i> tech support. Therefore tech support, by design, is <i>supposed</i> to accomodate people's ignorance.

People call in everyday who have bottom of the barrel, $299 PC of the week specials which are over a year old, past their hardware warrenty, and are no longer under the responcibility of Dell
Maybe some times these are past their warranty, but I've seen (and personally dealt) with <i>way</i> too many of those Dell boxes <i>still under warranty</i> having all manner of problems. Now personally, I'd just fix it and be done with it if I could. But because it's still under warranty, I can't do that without voiding the warranty, and that's against my company's policy. So then I have to fight through people who seem to be barely capable of tying their own shoes trying to talk me through a generic diagnosis when I already know what the problem is, not that they'll listen, and just want it fixed.

At least HP sactions me to do the work myself and I so I just RMA back the bad part. They even send the good part before recieving the bad, using a credit card as protection in case I don't send the bad. With HP I can deal with the problem in no time at all and no hassle. Dell has <i>never</i> given me such an option. Dell has <i>never</i> made my experience so smooth. I really wish my company would just stop buying Dell boxes, but the initial prices are just too good for them to ignore. (As if you don't more than make up that after something in the box fails ... which it <i>always</i> does with Dell.)

After we refuse them service....the old human nature kicks in and they tell everyone how dissatisfied with Dell's service even though they are the source of their own computer problems.
The source of their own computer problems? As if! Most of the time the problem is that the hardware is crap. Then the customer calls service, and the service is crap. And they can't even go to a sactioned forum because the support forum was yanked. They're a dissatisfied customer. How more obvious does it have to be? Damn straight they tell everyone how dissatisfied they are, just as they should. Maybe if enough people are warned, there will be less people suffering through Dell's inadequacies.

The <i>only</i> worse major OEM that I've ever had to deal with in my lifetime has been Packard Bell.

<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

It's really sad that they don't listen to the techs actually working on the machines, either. I mean, I know what's wrong with the damn thing, I'm the one here working on it... so listen to me already. Get your nose out of that f*cking flow chart and LISTEN.

I don't mind Dell being as bad as they are, though. I love making money from their mistakes.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I don't think that I've laughed this hard in a while. All that I can say is DUH! 99% (if not more) of the time, were the customer not ignorant, then they wouldn't need tech support. Therefore tech support, by design, is supposed to accomodate people's ignorance.
The ignorance i am refering to is NOT listening to the windows securty alerts, NOT updating virus software, NOT running any type of spyware protection, NOT ever buying the antivirus software their pc came with to get further updates even though the popups are clear and easy to understand for any idiot. Downloading programs off of bearshare that contrain viruses. Deleting those extra windows files that are simply taking up space<-----LOL it happens
Maybe some times these are past their warranty, but I've seen (and personally dealt) with way too many of those Dell boxes still under warranty having all manner of problems. Now personally, I'd just fix it and be done with it if I could. But because it's still under warranty, I can't do that without voiding the warranty, and that's against my company's policy. So then I have to fight through people who seem to be barely capable of tying their own shoes trying to talk me through a generic diagnosis when I already know what the problem is, not that they'll listen, and just want it fixed.

At least HP sactions me to do the work myself and I so I just RMA back the bad part. They even send the good part before recieving the bad, using a credit card as protection in case I don't send the bad. With HP I can deal with the problem in no time at all and no hassle. Dell has never given me such an option. Dell has never made my experience so smooth. I really wish my company would just stop buying Dell boxes, but the initial prices are just too good for them to ignore. (As if you don't more than make up that after something in the box fails ... which it always does with Dell.)
Once again i was talking about software support as i am not in the hardware que(thank fcucking god) We are a pay-per-use service like bestbuy and we get people calling in who dont have a helpdesk contract who want free support because they have screwed up their own machine somehow on the software side. Dell never has any problems that i'm aware of with the hardware replacement. Thats all hardware warrenty stuff.
The source of their own computer problems? As if! Most of the time the problem is that the hardware is ***. Then the customer calls service, and the service is ***. And they can't even go to a sactioned forum because the support forum was yanked. They're a dissatisfied customer. How more obvious does it have to be? Damn straight they tell everyone how dissatisfied they are, just as they should. Maybe if enough people are warned, there will be less people suffering through Dell's inadequacies.
Over 90% of the problems that come into Dell are software problems. Your pulling the hardware failure thing out of your ass plain and simple. And just to let u know, people get so angry and spread the hate mainly because if the fact that they get bounced around to moron's in India who have english as their 3rd language and dont have a clue.

There are lots of problems @ Dell and they are aware of them. Dell is however making a BIG change on the software support side of things starting on nov 15th. Cant disclose anything about it but i can tell ya that they are streamlining their scope of support, dropping support for all of the legacy crap(EI anything below XP) and will be doing some hardcore expansion and advertising. From what i've heard software support could become a big buisness division @ Dell in the next year or 2.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The ignorance i am refering to is NOT listening to the windows securty alerts, NOT updating virus software, NOT running any type of spyware protection, NOT ever buying the antivirus software their pc came with to get further updates even though the popups are clear and easy to understand for any idiot. Downloading programs off of bearshare that contrain viruses. Deleting those extra windows files that are simply taking up space<-----LOL it happens
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know it happens. I've done tech support in the past and my favorite cousin runs his own mobile 3rd party (usually emergency) tech support business from home. As I said, this is exactly what tech support is for, for smiling and being friendly on the outside while helping an idiot of a customer through gross ignorance and harmful willful negligence. That's the job. That's the point. Were the customer not that stupid they'd have probably built the box themselves and/or avoided/fixed their own problem, and thus not be calling you in the first place. Which is why the boxes cost waaay more than the hardware and software alone. Customers aren't just buying the box. They're buying the experience.

Dell never has any problems that i'm aware of with the hardware replacement. Thats all hardware warrenty stuff.
Well then be aware of it, because it's a problem.

Over 90% of the problems that come into Dell are software problems. Your pulling the hardware failure thing out of your ass plain and simple.
Oh yeah, because Dell hardware never has problems. **ROFL** Are you even paying attention to what you're saying?

And just to let u know, people get so angry and spread the hate mainly because if the fact that they get bounced around to moron's in India who have english as their 3rd language and dont have a clue.
And you're saying that isn't a justifiable reason to get angry?

There are lots of problems @ Dell and they are aware of them.
And ignoring them, and with each passing year making them worse and worse.

Dell is however making a BIG change on the software support side of things starting on nov 15th. Cant disclose anything about it but i can tell ya that they are streamlining their scope of support, dropping support for all of the legacy crap(EI anything below XP) and will be doing some hardcore expansion and advertising. From what i've heard software support could become a big buisness division @ Dell in the next year or 2.
So Dell's solution to fixing their crappy support is to completely cut all support for legacy. Yeah. That'll make customers happy. Big business? More like making matters even worse and customers even angrier. :lol: :lol: :lol: Typical Dell. There's a reason why Dell is being called the new "crooked e" (Enron's nickname).