Where is my bottleneck?

kmano8

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I've been experiencing long boot times for quite a while now so this may be software related. Here is my setup.

P4 3.0ghz Prescott (stock cooling)
1gb Corsair XMS DDR
Powercolor x300SE
Asus P5GDC-V Mobo
X-DreamerII Case w/ 4 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan
80gb Seagate Baracuda (partitioned into three segments)
LiteOn DVD rom (the 19.99 one on newegg)

I'm thinking it may be overheating issues. I'm encoding a video as I type this, and my case thermometer is reading temps at 122F. My fans pull air in at the front bottom and blow out at the back top, so I think I have good airflow.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
the boot times probably aren't heat related....those could be spyware or you just having a lot of startup programs running. If you can go to your startup folder and delete everything you dont HAVE to have at startup.

If you are experiencing slow encodes it could be throttling. Meaning your CPU is slowing itself to prevent damage....you can solve this buy getting better cooling through a better CPU HSF or maybe some case fans and move the cables to allow for better airflow.

endyen

Splendid
Partitioning an 80 gig hdd into three, is going to slow down read write times. Always try to keep you hdd as empty as possible.
If you dont have any antispyware get <A HREF="http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/" target="_new">adaware</A>